We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel warning

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Topic
Travel warning

Just about to head off to phuket and I receive travel warning. Great

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
5,815 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel warning

Why??

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel warning

The latest update on the Smart Traveller website seems to be mainly regarding the border regions (not relevant to Phuket); jet ski operators; tuk tuk and taxi drivers; and shop assistants at airports putting items into tourists bags at checkout and accusing them of shoplifting.

Obviously there are a few things to be aware of but nothing that should majorly affect your trip! Just use common sense.

Stelle

smarttraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/…Thailand

Edited: 05 January 2012, 09:23
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,374 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel warning

there is always some sort of travel warning in Thailand, rarely effects Phuket. As Stelle said, common sense is required when travelling anywhere.

Michelle

Phuket
Level Contributor
868 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel warning

Who issued the warning?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel warning

If at all concerned, register your details with DFAT. We've been there during elections (just a little unsettling) and during raised levels of travel awareness. Just missed the big protest which shut down the airport, which was lucky I guess, but we went soon after without a second thought. We just made sure not to fly through Bangkok. IMO, Songkran was worse than anything else we've encountered.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,374 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel warning

I have been there during about 3 or 4 political coupes and was there hen it shut down Phuket airport a few years ago, except that people told us, we would not have known anything was wrong.

All warning must always be considered but most of the time its go nothing to do with Phuket

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach, Karon
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel warning

Hi Debaria

Surely a reason would be given for the warning and does it specifically mention Phuket? Can you post a link please so that we can check it out?

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel warning

If you click on the link I posted it will take you to the Smart Traveller wesbsite (run by the the Australian Government). It's latest update was today, and if Debaria had subscribed to updates from the website she would have got information from this, so I'm guessing that's what it is about.

Stelle

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel warning

All travel warnings issued by any government are there to cover just about any eventuality, so that citizens can't later say they weren't warned. Mostly its way over the top.

Phuket
Level Contributor
868 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel warning

Thanks Stelle. It doesn't look like it would affect travel insurance and I'd be inclined to "excercise a high degree of caution" when dealing with tuk tuks or jetski boys anyway!!