We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another boat sinks in Phuket...

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Another boat sinks in Phuket...

When are the authorities going to take Marine safety seriously? Marine radio,flares & GPS Epirb should be compulsory!!!

No-one died,so nothing will be done.

heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/close-shave-…

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another boat sinks in Phuket...

That was Thursday last I think, they were speedily rescued by another boat that was close by

Local report in Phuketwan:

phuketwan.com/tourism/…

There may be updates on their touristm section:

http://phuketwan.com/tourism/

Everyone was speedily rescued by a nearby boat:

phuketgazette.net/archives/…article11929.html

Edited: 08 January 2012, 14:27
Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another boat sinks in Phuket...

Thank goodness everyone was rescued but in any case it's not good for Phuket tourism.

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another boat sinks in Phuket...

It's a miracle no-one drwoned,those speed boats are pretty old and weak.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
13 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another boat sinks in Phuket...

I was on a dive boat on Friday the 4th of May coming back from the Phi Phi islands to Phuket. There was a storm and part of the boat broke off and the boat sprang a leak and started to sink. The captain of the Oloha from the Kamala dive school safely beached the boat and we waited for another boat to pick us up. We swam to the rescue boat and were all fine. The rescue boat then had to go back to Phi Phi because another boat was in trouble. Later I was shocked when I realised that boat sinking were quite common in Phuket because the safety standards are so bad. We choose Sharkey Scuba in Kata beach to dive with as Iain the owner is an ex pat but I thought the boat he booked us on was a bit of an old tub which almost sank. Something has to done about the sub standard boat situation in Phuket before more lives are lost.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
24,934 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another boat sinks in Phuket...

...... and I've seen at least 5 people this week ask about boat safety in Thailand!

Perth
Level Contributor
328 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another boat sinks in Phuket...

Its certainly something I think about when I am considering a boat trip in Phuket. Normally I am pretty savvy with good tour companies but when we were there in early March we did a day trip out to Ko Ta Chai (Virgin Island). Unfortunately it wasn't an owner operated venture and we were crammed onto a speedboat with over 40 others, not enough seating and worse than that, not enough life jackets! Won't be doing that again.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
13 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another boat sinks in Phuket...

Article as follows:

http://phuketwan.com/tourism/phuket-dive-company-releases-details-boat-holing-beaching-15938/ 

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Another boat sinks in Phuket...

Not good, the Thai authorities have to get this sorted out, this has been happening for years.

The Roo
Level Contributor
83 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Another boat sinks in Phuket...

So what is the recommendation here, give Phi Phi a miss?

Or can people recommend a reputable group to trave lt oPhi Phi with.

I'm keen to go later in the year but not to risk my kids lives for a bit of tropical paradise. I wonder if Leonardo Di Caprio travelled on one of these now sunken vessels.

australia
Level Contributor
878 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Another boat sinks in Phuket...

Phuket Sails Capt Mark you will be VERY safe with him. My husband is blind and he felt safe all the time on our trip with him, as I did.