We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nightmare return flight

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Topic
nightmare return flight

flew with oman lhr-abudhabi-bkk no probs on the outward flight, but on the return we got near abu, and a message from the captain informed us there was a problem on the runway ,so were diverting to another airport 20 mins away

we landed there, and then sat in the plane for 7 hours! food ran out ,water ran out

they got some water bought onboard- eventually after the7 hrs we disenbarked and were bussed to the terminal where we waited for abt 4 more hrs(no food there only a duty free i bought some chocolate),, as the crew had to be changed,

eventually we flew to abu, but the onward flights were all gone, so it was mayhem at the counter people shoutind etc-(i kept a stiff upper lip of course),anyway, after about 2-3 hrs i got a flight to lhr but it didn,t go for another 6 hrs2-30 am- they gave me a food voucher, big deal!

got back in the end, i was totally cream crackered

somerset
Level Contributor
472 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: nightmare return flight

Sorry to hear about your probs Andy, this is why i like to fly direct so no hassle with changeovers. Anyway glad you got back in the end to plan the next trip.

Andy

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: nightmare return flight

def thai airways in the future andy! as u say fly direct, less chance of any hassle, or things going wrong

god i miss thailand!!

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: nightmare return flight

Good flight is one that lands you safely on the ground - everything else is a bonus. ;)

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: nightmare return flight

Experienced something like that once on Air India. It was supposed to be a direct flight. After a delayed departure it took off and flew 2hours in the opposite direction to go to another city!!!!

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,528 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: nightmare return flight

I remember the dreaded Monday night Gulf Air flights of years past. Most days it flew Bangkok-Dubai-London in 15 hours but on Mondays it went Bangkok-Dhaka-Oman-Dubai-Frankfurt-London and took 23 hours, not a great experience, so you have my sympathies on your Oman Air journey...

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: nightmare return flight

the worst part about it was the stop in abu-dhabi,it was crazy!

at the desks a pure scrum, some of the staff were so distressed that they walked away from their computers

if they had set up those barriers, so that eveyone could have lined up, it would have been ok,

i felt sorry for the poor staff behind the counter, getting all the abuse/flack-

each person to get their tickets for a new departure flight took about 15 mins , but some argued so it took longer-

it was def made worse by the worker fella from the uk(manchester) judging by his accent,who told people to go to the back of the que

his people handling skills are non-existant

i managed to have a nice sleep on a comfy chair by starbucks for a couple of hours before the flight back and thought abt the good time i had in thailand !

no pom-pem!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: nightmare return flight

you deserve a beer.....or 3

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: nightmare return flight

I think we've all had a nightmare flight experience at one time or another, the best thing to do is what you did take it all in your stride.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: nightmare return flight

Andy, you said you flew 'Oman Air' - ??

but they route via Muscat in Oman ( which is their base )

If you flew via Abu Dhabi that surely would have been Etihad (?)

Was it Oman Air or Etihad

A divert from Abu Dhabi 20 mins away probably Dubai or Sharjah, perhaps further to Ras Al Khaimah, from Muscat a diversion would probably have been to Al Fujairah

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: nightmare return flight

sorry ,your quite right monica4, it was ethiad ,the airport was a small one in the middle of nowhere al- something