We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kata Beach vs Patong Beach

Cobram, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Kata Beach vs Patong Beach

I am planing to go to Phuket for the first time with my Girlfriend in May this year. I am trying to decide on wether to stay at Patong Beach (Burasari Patong) or Kata Beach Resort.

I am a little concerned Kata Beach might be too far from Patong Beach and the attractions. Although we are not necessarily wanting bars etc. How much is it to get from Kata Beach to Patong return?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
417 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kata Beach vs Patong Beach

Kata Beach Resort is right in the middle of the shopping area at Kata Beach. We stayed at Patong but checked out Kata Beach for 1 day. To me the roads around Kata Beach are very narrow and the shops are right on the road front, step out the shop and your on the road practically (not much of a footpath.

Tuk Tuk costs us around 400 baht 1 way (from memory) and the trip is around 10 to 15 minutes - which may become a hassle if your doing it frequently.

Much better range of shops and Restaurants at Patong.

Phuket
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kata Beach vs Patong Beach

While the Burasari is right in the middle of Patong - and quite nicely done:

Photos and Info:

r24.org/5starthailand.com/…

it just isn't the same as staying right on the beach in Kata:

Photos and info:

r24.org/5starthailand.com/phuket/katabeach/

Tuk tuks, I am guessing will be about B150 to B200 each way.

For me anyway - no contest. Kata Beach is one of the nicer beaches on the island - and the KBR - very nicely placed right on the beach.

Phuket
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kata Beach vs Patong Beach

Well, one problem with the tuk tuks is that you DO have to negotiate the price.

Cobram, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Kata Beach vs Patong Beach

tedkarma thanks for the info I have decided to stay at Kata Beach Resort and booked it tonight. Loooking forward to the Holiday now!!!

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,918 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kata Beach vs Patong Beach

Hi , You will love the Kata beach resort on the water two great pools..just perfect. CJ

Cobram, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Kata Beach vs Patong Beach

Also wanted to know what is the best way to get to KBR from the airport? How much does it cost?

Leicester
Level Contributor
447 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kata Beach vs Patong Beach

Probably the quickest way to Kata is with the airport taxi for 650 Baht which takes around 50 minutes-one hour depending on traffic. You can also go in a shared mini bus which could go in a more roundabout way depending on who gets dropped off first.

Cobram, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Kata Beach vs Patong Beach

Thanks all for the information and your feedback. I am looking forward to the trip now.

I do have a little concern with the weather as the only time I can get away is in late May. I have read that the weather can be pretty bad in May with high rain fall. IS the rain usually only late in the day or at night lasting for not that long?

I have travelled to Malaysia (Sabah) during monsoon times and it pretty much rained most afternoons or evening but this did not really cause any problems.

The accmodation prices drop very dramatically in May, is this due to the weather?