We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please Drive Carefully

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach, Karon
Level Contributor
3,925 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Please Drive Carefully

Dear TA members

If you are coming to Phuket and intend renting a bike, please drive very carefully. There have been so many accidents lately. Dont know if it is just me but the driving seems to be getting much worse!

The amount of drunken drivers is incredible and of course there is no law and order here. Perhaps there are so many accidents as more people are trying to avoid the rip off tuk tuks by renting their own mo peds.

Sadly some very tragic accidents have occurred. :-(

100 Mile House...
Level Contributor
336 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please Drive Carefully

Agree...there's a lady at our hotel with severe road rash who's all bandaged up. Her friend ended up with a broken leg. Also saw another couple rent a scooter and try to drive off on it. They had no clue...very scary!

Last week on the way to the Festival Mall we passed an accident scene. Tarp covering someone on the side of the road.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Please Drive Carefully

For years, the local press has been reporting daily accidents, especially involving motorcycles, and the latter account for about 70-80% Of all road fatalities.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
5,815 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please Drive Carefully

this is the latest tragedy to happen reported in Phuketwan......so sad :-(

so as Ringo says please be careful if renting these bikes

phuketwan.com/tourism/tourist-dead-injured-p…

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,865 posts
414 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please Drive Carefully

It never ceases to amaze me how stupid people can be when they arrive in Phuket. They do things they would never dream of doing at home, ride bikes without helmets, no licenses, drunk. We have followed 3 big westeners on one bike from Kata one night, the driver was so squashed he could hardly move his arms, another guy so drunk he could hardly turn the corner and the centre stand was down. So many stories & they all involve tourists.

Gary even had a family ask him did he think it would be allright if they hired bikes and their 14 yr old son had a bike as well!!!! Cannot say here what Garys reply was.

Its about time Phuket had more mobile patrols, speed cameras, random breath testing, radar guns etc etc.

Cathy

Warwick
Level Contributor
60 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please Drive Carefully

I have driven in a few countries and adapt to driving fairly well, BUT, this is one country I have desire or need to drive in.

I have complete faith in the locals driving capabilities, it the foreigners who scare the living daylights out of me.

Really when you compare the Thai people driving it very full on but you hardly hear a horn beep, haven't seen road rage, they just drive like crazed rabbits - fascinating and you have to have respect for them as drivers.

Taxis (metered) are so cheap and tuk tuks if you want a thrill ride (we took one today for the first time, not to keen to repeat the experience) are the way to go

Di

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please Drive Carefully

That is the 6th foriegner this year so far from motrocycle or cash accident

phuketwan.com/tourism/…

That does not include the 4 your Swedish tourist killed in that car crash on just over on the mainland having left Phuket

Last month we had to go to Phuket on business, stayed Phuket Town .

Twice in as many days I witnessed what is termed elsewhere as 'road rage', lots of shouting at eachother !! Both times between town and Chalong area, neither time were the drivers Thai. Enough said there !

People need to take extreme care when they think about renting a m/bike and should also take care even with a car.

Edited: 25 February 2012, 10:38
Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach, Karon
Level Contributor
3,925 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please Drive Carefully

Yes bbtony, the media have been reporting for years. However to many of us living here we have noticed a remarkable increase in accidents this season. It seems that more tourists are renting bikes and it is quite clear in many cases that they have never ridden bikes before.

This week alone I have witnessed 5 accidents and countless close encounters. 2 of the accidents were motorcycles side swiping cars, 1 involved a pedestrian and the other 2 were basic head on collisions.

Also 1 of our team members was involved in an accident earlier today with a samlor which was reversed into him.

None of these accidents were reported in the media as fortunately none of them included fatalities.

RIP to those who died tragically recently :-(

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Please Drive Carefully

the indonesian lady , and her unborn baby,s death was absolutly terrible

i heard the uk husband commited suicide a few days later

i too saw lots of bandaged people

one guy in san sabai was trying to mount his scooter outside the pool hall , he just fell off , scooter on top of him he was so drunk

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please Drive Carefully

We'll be in Phuket and Samui this May and have decided for the first time not to rent a scooter or car, simply because on our last visit we were shocked to see all the accidents.

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Please Drive Carefully

a car would be ok cherella, i used a freind of my g/freind to ferry us around "go-khai" a really nice fella