We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for Daughter with Anaphylaxis Allergy to Cashews

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Topic
Advice for Daughter with Anaphylaxis Allergy to Cashews

Hi there

My husband and I with 3 kids in tow will be travelling to Phuket for the first time in a couple of weeks and then on to Bangkok for a couple of days. We are all very excited however I am also extremely nervous as my 10yr old daughter is Anaphylactic (life-threatening) to Cashew Nuts. We obviously always travel with her EPIPENS however I have a friend that has just returned from Phuket who says that Cashews are in EVERYTHING!! I am also nervous about Medical treatment (should we unfortunately need it) and how efficient they are - bearing in mind that this is a life-threatening allergy. We are staying in Kamala at the Courtyard Marriott and whilst we don't want to always eat at the Hotel, we also don't want to take too many risks. Any advice?? Will vendors/restaurants understand when I say - absolutely NO CASHEWS. And is there anything I should know about closest medical facilities etc. Obviously this is a very important issue for me. Thanks.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for Daughter with Anaphylaxis Allergy to Cashews

Hi, There was a similar topic on a peanut allergy not too long ago, perhaps do a search....also someone on the forum ( plenty of helpers on here) can give you the correct words in thai and have it written on a card to take with you.

You will have to be careful too with cooking surfaces having had cashews on them. I certainly don't envy you having to be so vigilant, but I guess it can be done. The Phuket Bangkok hospital in Phuket town is state of the art and very highly regarded. I am sure you will get lots more responses and ideas. Sue

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for Daughter with Anaphylaxis Allergy to Cashews

This link might be helpful - scroll down a bit:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-s604/Thailand…

Cashew nuts are used a lot, but not in everything. Its a matter of doing a little recipe research and then sticking to things that don't have them. Thats not always an easy task as, for instance, some vendors of fried rice might put a few cashews in, while others won't. A not-great option is western food, its easy to find in both Patong and Bangkok.

As for medical care, its probably better than you'll get at home - as long as you have insurance. Medical care, especially in Bangkok, is as good as you could want.

Boston...
Level Contributor
817 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for Daughter with Anaphylaxis Allergy to Cashews

I am VERY allergic to nuts as well... carry the epipen, etc.. I just posted about allergies.

Just starting to plan my trip.. but in general when I travel to a foreign country, I take a note in the native language listing my allergies.. I know I saw a list in the main Thailand forum.

A friend of mine gave me an idea to have a note that says "I only eat plain rice, chicken, and vegetables with no nut, seafood, or dairy products"

And I also avoid eating at street vendors and sometimes I just have to stick to Western places where I can more easily recognize the food... which is unfortunate because local food is part of the experience.. but I err on the side of caution... I don't doubt that the health care is top notch, but who feels like spending part of their vacation in a hospital? :)

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,658 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for Daughter with Anaphylaxis Allergy to Cashews

Cashews are not as common in dishes that I have seen unless its crushed. More peanut!!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for Daughter with Anaphylaxis Allergy to Cashews

Thanks for your replies. I shall have a look at the links suggested and do a search on the forum. Someone else suggested the note written in Thai to carry around so I have found a friend of a friend who is from Thailand to write this out for me. I guess we are just going to have to be super vigilant. I don't think I will risk the street vendors with her - luckily she is quite a fussy eater anyway so she won't mind 'missing out' whilst we try some of the local food!

Can't wait for our trip!! Thanks again.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
38,815 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for Daughter with Anaphylaxis Allergy to Cashews

Should you need medical services in either Bangkok or Phuket, the hospitals are excellent. In Phuket, the Bangkok Phuket Hospital is more like a 5* hotel with that level of service both clinical and customer care.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice for Daughter with Anaphylaxis Allergy to Cashews

I am a coeliac ( gluten intolerant) I was in Phuket last October. It is fine having this written on cards and also saying how important it is, but I found many people would say oh it only has a little bit and when you say no it would still make me sick many of them would change their minds saying it had none in it . They think they might miss out on a sale so you need to be extremely careful.

Boston...
Level Contributor
817 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice for Daughter with Anaphylaxis Allergy to Cashews

good to know.. "a little" nut product would definitely be a dealbreaker for me

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice for Daughter with Anaphylaxis Allergy to Cashews

Hi also have a serious nut allergy

When I went to Thailand five years ago I had a near miss as they did not understand the seriousness.

Going again in April this year.

I now carry an epipen, card written in Thai that says if I eat nuts I can die.

Also are super vigilant if in doubt I don't eat it

Hope this helps

Judy

Marulan, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice for Daughter with Anaphylaxis Allergy to Cashews

How did you go with your daughters anaphylaxis? Our son is 6 and has anaphylaxis to peanut. We have all the epipens and that also, but still are a little concerned. Thanks.