We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Laptop wi-fi in Phuket a little help please

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,402 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Laptop wi-fi in Phuket a little help please

Hi all, I'm buying a lap top to go to Bangkok & Phuket in June/July. I'd appreciate a little help cos I'm not really tech savvy,

1) Does the Patong Merlin have wi-fi?

2) If so how much does it cost?

3) Does it cover all areas in the hotel , pool, bar area etc?

4) If I want coverage elsewhere like at the beach can I buy it in Patong for a couple of weeks?

5) I heard you can get vodaphone access in Australia and take it overseas and it just taps into the local area network and doesn't charge exhorbitant roaming fees. Is this true?

Pete

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Laptop wi-fi in Phuket a little help please

Yes,Patong Merlin have Wifi,but i'm not sure of the cost,maybe you could email them.It will cover the whole resort.

You can buy data from Dtac from phone shops and they will set it up for you.Vodafone Global roaming is very expensive,don't go there.

Australia
Level Contributor
197 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Laptop wi-fi in Phuket a little help please

We bought an AIS USB stick from the upper level in Junceylon. It cost around $60 and then you top up as required. We chose this because the hotel we were staying in (for 16nights) charged AUD $15 dollars a day for internet access and we needed to check daily on our Business and had our teenager that couldn't survive without FaceBook!!

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Laptop wi-fi in Phuket a little help please

What was the speed and connection like with AIS?

I take my own USB stick,so probably just need the data sim if the USB is compatible.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,402 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Laptop wi-fi in Phuket a little help please

John07, thanks for the advice I'll steer clear of Vodafone

luvtotravel, thanks also, can you tell me how long the $60 AIS stick lasts for. Was it a pre-determined time frame? We are there for 2 weeks.

5. Re: Laptop wi-fi in Phuket a little help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 14:41