We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 bedroom at karon

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
427 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
2 bedroom at karon

hi there

we are planning a 7 night stay in phuket in october for 2 adults and 2 kids aged 12 and 10. it has been recommended for us to stay in karon. we would like a 2 bedroom suite/villa, does not need a kitchen. i would like something reasonably nice with a great pool. the travel agent suggested centara grand resort but their 2 bedrooms come in a around $600 per night which is way out of our price range i was hoping to keep it under $250 - $200....is this possible or am i dreaming. we like the idea of walking to restaurants and a little bit of shopping. is the centara resort really worth $600 per night??? how is the other centara resort located? that seemed more reasonably priced but wouldnt let me book a 2 bedroom suite for more than 3 people via internet.

Thanks in advance for your advice

Linda :)

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 bedroom at karon

Try the Centara Waterfront Suites, it is high rise but they have 2 bedroom apartments , you can walk to restaurants and shops, note it is 'not' Waterfront, that is just the name :)

Should be AU$ 587 for 7 nights, so AU$ 84 per night

That does not include breakfast but does inc tax and service for a 2 bedroom 167 sqm ( large )

"Each unit is equipped with 1 king size bed, 2 twin beds, a living room with a sofa bed, a dining area with 8 seats, fully equipped kitchen. Each suite can accommodate up to 4 adult and 2 children"

Swimming pool, tennis court, squash court, games room etc

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
508 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 bedroom at karon

Hi Linda

We are staying at the Baan Karon View in a 2br apartment, that would fit into you budget. We also looked at the Grand sunset hotel 2br, but there are many more to stay at depending on what you are after. You are not dreaming, October will still be low season and prices cheaper, there are many others, have a look on agoda or Hotels combined and type in karon beach. $600 a night in october sounds expensive, i think you can do better that that lol. theres also waterfront suites, sunset plaza serviced apartments ,dewa karon beach ,pacific club resort, just to name a few.

Cheers Andrew

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
427 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 bedroom at karon

thankyou, i will check out the above mentioned...$84 a night? wow....that certainly does beat $600 lol. thanks for the feedback cheers :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,037 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 bedroom at karon

The regular Centara, Centara Karon has a 2 bedroom Family room. Pretty sure it's in the Lagoon section (best area for kids). It may be a better option if you want multiple pools and larger grounds.

IMO, nothing wrong with staying in Karon, but I find other areas more to my liking.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
427 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 bedroom at karon

we were in Phuket over 20 years ago (well before kids lol) and we stayed in Patong at the holiday Inn and loved it back then, but I didnt think it would be suitable these days, especially with the kids? What areas would you recommend? Im only going on what I have heard from recent visitors I know....open to other options. I believe the area you stay in can really make or break your stay somewhere. We want to be able to walk to eateries and a little bit of street markets, not too in your face though iykwim. Pool is very important to us

Thanks again :)

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 bedroom at karon

Karon or Kata

You could look at the Family Suites at Centara Kata Resort, not on the beach, short walk, good pools

Plus of Centara Waterfront is great views.

20 years ago :) oh wow, you would find it very strange now, we were living there then, whole different place now.

Edited: 13 March 2012, 06:59
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,037 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 bedroom at karon

My first trip was also over 20 years ago. I recall Otop being a big tent over a dirt floor ! Patong beach was nothing but fat German tourists with a Thai girlfriend either side. We stayed at Bang Tao beach, but I remember the Holiday Inn and maybe 2 or 3 other hotels in Patong. My wordy yes, it has changed.

For the most part, Patong is now family friendly, especially during the day. But like I said, nothing wrong with Karon. It gets down to what your kids are like. Mine would have been bored in Karon after a day or two, but they were a little older first trip (13 & 15). Also, Karon anecdotally has the roughest water conditions. On days that you can swim at Kata or Patong, you may not be able to at Karon. IMO Kata has a nicer feel about it, but plenty of Karon fans will disagree.

I'm a big proponent of splitting your stay between 2 areas. I'd do Centara Grand for just a few days to keep the total cost down. As long as your kids are under 13, you can all stay in one room. Not ideal, I know.

You could split it with Duangjitt in Patong (3 night minimum). It's on the edge of Patong and once behind the front fence you could be anywhere. Not on the beach, but not far. Close to Otop. I can't believe the deal asiarooms has on it in October, about $180 per night (inc. breakfast) for the Family Suite. It's not a perfect hotel, but staying in the Family Suite is just great; literally the best room I've ever stayed in. Upstairs and downstairs, each floor with it's own bathroom and tv. So many square meters of floor space... huge spa bath... nicely decorated... Your kids may have to share the double bed downstairs as I'm not not sure if they allow a rollaway. They probably do. And if you like pools, the pool is the biggest in Patong. Look at Google maps in satellite view and you'll see what I mean. That big blue thing, bigger than any other blue thing on the map, that you are wondering "what is that ?", that is the biggest pool. And there's two more pools.

So 3 nights Duangjitt @ 180 per night Family Suite (asiarooms, can't believe the price) and 4 nights Centara Grand (in two adjoining rooms) at $180 per room ($360, min. 4 nights at that price) is just over your budget... but well worth it. How often do you go on a Phuket holiday ? Patong will be handy for shopping and booking tours. You will be visiting it anyway. Even if you don't like it, you are really only there for 2 full days, then on to Centara.

Hey, if you all cram into one room at Centara Grand, it's an absolute bargain !

Edited: 13 March 2012, 09:18
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,037 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 bedroom at karon

btw, you forgot the aityd on the end of your iykwim.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
427 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 bedroom at karon

ok, ya got me lol...aityd??? ha ha....sorry, im a lazy typist ;)

all up our trip will be for 2 - 3 weeks, including Chiang Mai, Bangkok and possibly Koh Samui (still not sure on that one?) thanks so much for your help, very grateful...am looking into other options now too :)

10. Re: 2 bedroom at karon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 06:43