We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phuket in July

Houston, Texas
4 posts
Save Topic
Phuket in July

I have an extra 5 days in my trip and am looking for a beach destination to add to Koh Samui and Koh Tao. Is it sensible to go to Phuket for those 5 days in July given the risk of the weather? Or should I just stay on Koh Samui locale? I plan on scuba diving and snorkeling in Koh Tao so I don't need to do that in Phuket. I just want to lay on the beach and get some sun and take a day trip to Koh Phi Phi. Historically speaking, is the risk of poor weather be so high that I may end up stuck inside my hotel?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phuket in July

Predicting weather for July...??...Nobody knows or can correctly tell you...

What happened last year or the year before and so on need not necessarily be the same this year as the years before...July is wet season and yes there is rain and yes there is sunshine....How much rain and how much sunshine is anyones guess....I can say that it has rained in the afternoons,later at night and sometimes in the morning for shortish periods,but then I have been there when it has rained constantly for 3 days with no let up....

We have just had one of the wettest summers on record in Sydney and eas t coast Australia with flooding.....Very unlike the years before....

Phuket just went thru a flood....So,who knows...??...

Having said this...I would go...!!...For the mere fact...I love Phuket...!!

Bethpage, New York
Level Contributor
227 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phuket in July

What does one do there when it rains.. Only booked for 3 days and I am sure after 20+ hour flight we'll just be wiped out on day 1.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phuket in July

The beauty of Phuket when it rains is...It is so tropically hot...!!...We used to make the most of it whether it rained or not....

Of course we normally postpone day trips if there is any sign of rain or a storm...However,one can use the hotel room umbrella and go shopping especially if you're staying in Patong....Maybe people watching in your hotel/resort bar or a long lunch in a nice restaurant....

Maybe a few hours in a local gym or take in a yoga and meditation class....

And best of all...Talk to and get to know the local people...!!...

20 hour flight is heavy duty...!!...9 hours for us is heavy enough...!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phuket in July

I stayed in Koh Samui last year in July and we had a fair bit of rain but still a beautiful place, our friends went the cheaper option of Phuket at the same time and said they had amazing weather. Only a little bit of rain at night, so luck of the draw I guess. Its a bit like North Queensland here in Australi. We have booked a nine night holiday in July this year to Phuket so I have my fingers crossed:)

Bethpage, New York
Level Contributor
227 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phuket in July

Oh no Kyliemac79 we booked Ko Samui with hopes of getting away from the bad weather/seas of Phuket....guess you can't predict mother nature. Cocotang....didn't realize that Thailand was 9 hours away from Australia since it seems so many Australians visit! The furtherest I've gone before was to Bora Bora/Moorea and that was still only 18 hours of travel with stopovers.....hope we survive! Rain is always a risk of a beach vacation no matter where you live....even here in New York in the warm weather of summer! Just would hate to be holed up at the hotel....can't wait to take in the beaches, which look so different than ours and the culture!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Phuket in July

postcard..??..your last comment sums it all up really and I must say...That's the spirit....!!...Whether it rains in Koh Phuket or Koh Samui...Just suck it up and make it a great holiday...And as you said...it could rain anywhere at anytime....That's the risk....!!....

Yes...about 8 3/4 hours to be exact to Phuket from Sydney and 6 hours to Bali...

Funny thing is the flight home is always quicker...??...Usually by 15 minutes..!!

Swimming @ the beaches in Koh Samui is safer than Phuket in July usually...

Low/wet season Phuket means surf season and if there has been strong winds,this will pump the swell up to as much as 6 feet and become quite dangerous for swimming...Rips start to form and drag the unwary out to sea...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Phuket in July

Dont worry Postcards about the rain in Koh Samui it did not spoil our beautiful holiday and the seas were so calm and flat. I am more concerned that we have made the wrong choice of choosing Phuket this time rather return to Koh Samui, Krabi or Chang Mai as they all seem quieter, which is what we like. I am hoping katanoi and Karon will be still reasonably quiet or we really did choose the wrong part of Thailand. Yes the flights are quite long to Thailand but Koh Samui is worth it when you get there, but its nothing like Bora Bora:)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
4,664 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Phuket in July

We were there in July, 2 years ago & it was great weather but who knows!!

Cheers Mac

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Phuket in July

The risks of rain are higher in Phuket so you made the right decision to go to Samui even though there's no guarantees.

Houston, Texas
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Phuket in July

Thanks everyone for all your advice. It seems it would make sense to add Phuket to the itinerary in addition to Koh Samui and Koh Tao. With extra days, what do I have to lose.