We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phuket - Karon / Kata

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Phuket - Karon / Kata

Hi, I am traveling to Phuket in July and looking to stay in either Kata or Karon. Looking at spending $60-$110 per night give or take. I have been to Phuket before but was quite a few years ago, and this time I am coming with a family, 15month old. Wanting to know which location is best and any recommendations for specific hotels. Wanting to have shops, eateries, hawkers, markets all fairly close (walking distance with a 15mth old). Hotel with a reasonable pool and not too far from the beach.

Or would you recommend Patong for what we are after?

Would also like to know if anyone knows of any good fishing charters to head out on once we are there?

Any guidance and replies would be appreciated...Thanks

California
Level Contributor
224 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phuket - Karon / Kata

Between May to the end of October, the sea off most beaches in Phuket are rough and the rip tides are strong especially at Karon Beach. So, I will not go to Karon if I would like to spend time on beach. The sea off Kata Beach is much better at the time of year although the sea may become rough. Last July, I saw many families with small children playing at Kata beach.

Kata Beach Resort and Spa is located at south end of Kata beach and will meet most of your requirements.

Currently, “superior room without breakfast” will be within your budget on most major hotel booking sites. It seems that they have not offered special low season rates for rooms including breakfast yet. I am not sure whether you can get special rates if you wait for a couple of months.

sawadee.com and hotels2thailand are offering lower rates for rooms including breakfasts.

Sawadee.com (superior room with breakfast - $109 before tax and service fee in July)

http://www.sawadee.com/hotel/phuket/katabeach

hotels2thailand (superior room with breakfast - $106 before tax and service fee in July)

hotels2thailand.com/phuket-hotels/Kata-Beach…

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phuket - Karon / Kata

Thanks for the responses. Much appreciated.

For those of you that may have been to Samui, Would you compane Lamei to Kata/Karon beach?

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
792 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phuket - Karon / Kata

We stayed at the horizon karon beach resort in karon with our kids june last year &I will be again this june. But our kids are bit older 6&8. Great place &value for money. See my review for more info.

Edited: 27 March 2012, 04:11
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phuket - Karon / Kata

Koh Samui has lots for absolute beachfront places, hotels, resorts also cabin / bungalow cabana tropical style places, Samui weather would be better at that time and sea swimming should be fine

Problem with Kata / Karon is getting something on the beach, you won't get anything on the beach in that range, maybe the Inn north end of Karon, but anyway the beach can be red-flagged anyway, places like Karon Sea Sand or Old Phuket hotel are possibles.

Edited: 27 March 2012, 04:42
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phuket - Karon / Kata

Hi All, Thanks for the feedback and info.

So sounds like the beach aspect may be somewhat limiting depending on tides/weather etc. We are ok if the hotel is not right on the beach, as long as it is within a fair walking distance. Which is fine with us as we are not the kind to people that enjoy sitting on the beach all day. We enjoy going for a few hours for a swim etc.

From other aspects does Karon/Kata have enough close buy to do (walking or short taxi/bus)? A bit of shopping, good variety of food, hawkers maybe some options things like a cooking class? Or will we find ourselves heading to Patong each day for this?

Thanks

Melbourne
Level Contributor
314 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Phuket - Karon / Kata

have a look at Villa Elisabeth at Kata Beach. prices in front rooms right on the beach are within your budget and it is very nice there. there are plenty of food options at kata beach and it is only a 10min ride down to patong where there is plenty of shopping. I think there is also a place in kata which does cooking classes but im not sure exactly where. there is also a local bus in kata which runs into patong for only about 50baht one way.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
792 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Phuket - Karon / Kata

There are plenty of restaurants in Karon & Kata, also plenty of shopping (obviously nowhere near as much as in Patong), markets, tour guides, chemists, 7/11's etc.. Dino Park mini golf is in Kata - gr8 fun for family (especially at night for the effects), easily get to & from Patong via Tuk Tuk or your hotel shuttle if want to go there.

We took our kids to Kata Beach for swimming - it was quite calm, sheltered and shallow (but of course must always take care in the waters during monsoon season).

If you read my review about the Horizon you will see I have mentioned about what is nearby - restaurants etc...

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Phuket - Karon / Kata

I'm a huge fan of Kata Beach Resort & Spa and stay there annually as well as Patong but i think with a 15 month old,Kata is the better option.It's right on the beach and everything you'll need is within a 100 metre walk.The beach is so much better than Patong's which is very dirty.

Seeing that you're going in low season,you'll get a great deal,for example in December a standard room was $256 and in low season it was around $90 with breakfast.I book all my accom through Latestays,which are owned now by Wotif.com,usually the same price if you feel safer booking through Wotif.Don't bother with travel agents in low season because thet $90 price will become at least $150+,Kata may be a touch bigger that Lamai but both have that nice "low key & away from it all vibe",so i know what you mean about Lamai and both are about the same distance to Patong and Chaweng.A Tuk Tuk will cost about 400B to/from Patong.

If you have any more questions,i'll be glad to help as i love Kata.

http://www.latestays.com/kata-beach-resort/

Edited: 29 March 2012, 09:30
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
445 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Phuket - Karon / Kata

Geoff1964 - (a) As you have stayed at Villa Elisabeth, you would be aware that the front rooms over the beach are very small ... where would you put a 15 month old baby and its associated requirements (stroller and/or bedding, etc)?

(b) Have there been some dramatic transport changes in the past 12 months ? The last time I stayed in Kata, the local bus (Songtheow) ran from Kata via a loop through Karon to Phuket Town (not Patong). You would then have to change buses to continue back into Patong ... a very long way around ... particularly with a baby.

10. Re: Phuket - Karon / Kata

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 09:17