We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help to choose hotel

Nivala, Finland
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Help to choose hotel

Can you help us making up our mind, please.

We like Kata beach, Kamala beach, Khao Lak and not so much Karon, but it is ok, if hotel is good enough :)

We are going to stay first week at Sunwing Kamala and looking for a hotel to the second week.

Khaolak was at first our number one place to go for the second week, but now we have been thinking that maybe we will stay at Karon or Kata. Hotels I have been looking are Centara Karon, Moevenpick resort, Centara Kata and Kata beach resort. Also Centara Grand beach resort have been on mind but the rates are bit too much. For the other hotels I have found reasonable rates. Every hotel seems to be nice for our needs, so can you help us?

We are a family with younger and older children, so the hotel should be child-friendly and kids love the sliders :)

Mentioned in this post
Kata Beach
Kata Beach
6,549 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Kamala Beach
Kamala Beach
1,732 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Karon
Karon
Phuket, Thailand
Kamala
Kamala
Phuket, Thailand
Kata Beach
Kata Beach
Phuket, Thailand
Centara Karon Resort Phuket
Centara Karon Resort...
4,213 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Centara Kata Resort Phuket
Centara Kata Resort...
867 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Beyond Resort Kata
Beyond Resort Kata
1,651 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket
Centara Grand Beach...
3,027 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,093 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help to choose hotel

First of all...When are you going to Phuket...??...This governs accomodation prices greatly....IE:high season can be double or than low season....!!...

And for the sake of myself looking up your suggested hotels...What is your budget...??...Superior or deluxe rooms or pool access rooms...???...

My choice would be Kata Beach if you're staying in Phuket....

It is such a pity that you have forgone Khao Lak....We have been to Khao Lak twice now and love the place....Phuket is nice but Khao Lak is in our hearts....

KL is only 1 1/2 hours from Phuket and 1000 baht for Boss@cheaperthanhotels taxi....

Anyway I have not stayed at any of the hotels you mentioned but will be staying at Kata Palms Resort for a few days next trip,then move onto Khao Lak for the remainder of our vacation....

We stayed @ Karon.Horizon Resort....The resort was nice,however Karon was a bit boring...Only my opinion...sorry...!!??...

Mentioned in this post
Kata Beach
Kata Beach
6,549 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Kata Beach
Kata Beach
Phuket, Thailand
Karon
Karon
Phuket, Thailand
The Palms Resort
The Palms Resort
137 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Nivala, Finland
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help to choose hotel

Cocotang, thank you for your reply. Every effort is valuable :)

We are going next peak/high season. The grade of room isn´t the matter, the most important thing is that we fit in. We need one room for 4 people and another for 3 people. Or all of us in one suite (like we will be at Sunwing) The budjet is kind of wide, but not too much. Maximum something like 8000 thb/room/night.

I got a rate from Centara Karon for 5500/room/night, and that is really a good offer for that hotel next january. So maybe I am crazy even to think of getting a little more luxury and paying so much more.. The rates I have found to these hotels I have had in mind are the cheapest hotel for 5000 thb/room/night and the most expensive 8300 thb/room/night, usually breakfast rate. Well, the Centara Grand was much more (11000), when there came finally all extrabeds and breakfasts, that is really out of guestion.

We were at Khao Lak this january and loved it, too. It is also an option, there we have considered Khaolak Seaview (5000thb/room/night). If we were travelling without the teenager (17) we would probably choose some smaller place.

One hotel, that I forgot from the list is Merlin beach resort (found a price about 8300thb/room/night, only room no breakfast at this rate). That looks pretty fine hotel for our needs, but I am a little nervous if it would be frustrating all the time take a taxi of tuktuk to get to the shops. If only I could get this hotel to Kata or Khaolak, that would be the one. Definitely :)

There is just too many good options. There would not be any difficulties to choose if we had too much money :)

Edited: 24 March 2012, 23:04
Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Kata Beach
Kata Beach
Phuket, Thailand
Centara Karon Resort Phuket
Centara Karon Resort...
4,213 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket
Centara Grand Beach...
3,027 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Seaview Patong Hotel
Seaview Patong Hotel
1,781 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Patong Merlin Hotel
Patong Merlin Hotel
1,800 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,093 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help to choose hotel

I once asked some experts about staying in The Seaview @ Khao Lak and for some reason I cannot remember now,they all put me off staying there....Besides the TA reviews for the Seaview are not overly favourable....

khao Lak accomodation would be best asked in the khao Lak forum...I can recommend a few places in KL,however,the KL experts can help you further with your choice keeping in mind your budget is quite high....

Considering I pay up to 1500baht/night in low season for reasonably nice 3* places....

Catching tuk tuks every day and perhaps night can be frustrating and become quite expensive....

Maybe you could go to sawadee.com and check the hotels/resorts,prices and locations...I have booked thru sawadee 4 times and had no problems....

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Seaview Patong Hotel
Seaview Patong Hotel
1,781 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
4. Re: Help to choose hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 09:41