We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days Bang Tao - 3 days Karon - where to from each ?

Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Topic
3 days Bang Tao - 3 days Karon - where to from each ?

Hi all,

firstly, after 4 days KL would you split 6 days Phuket into 3 @ Bang Tao (Dusit) and 3 @ Karon (KB Resort), if so, which first ?

And where to head from each in order to do: Phi Phi day trip, elephant treking, Phuket Town night market and any other suggestions so as to not miss anything ?. More questions to come. Thanks in advance.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days Bang Tao - 3 days Karon - where to from each ?

Would I do it ? Yes "I" would. But I am surely in the minority. I do it every time and for me, it's like I've had two holidays for the price of one. Order ? Depends on if you want to get your shopping/Patong done first, then relax, or vice versa. I like to do busy first; relax second.

We book normal days, then a day before the change, we ask for a late check out at our first hotel, and early check-in at the next. This way we don't pay any extra fees. We don't get greedy, just ask for an hour late, and an hour (or two) early. Worst case scenario is you dump your luggage at reception at the new place and go sit by the pool for a couple of hours till your room is ready (another reason to do Dusit second). Usually early check-in is no problem.

For tours, it doesn't really matter where you are at, the price includes hotel to hotel drop off. It will be dearer to go from Bang Tao bay, but not by that much, maybe another $5-$10 each for the same tour. But there will be fewer tour agent kiosks to choose from so could be harder to haggle (you haggle over tour prices, same as most other things you buy). If you are doing elephants at Kok Chang, easier from Karon as it's near Kata viewpoint. I'd do most trips during the Karon stage as Bang Tao is for relaxing. Phang Nga bay better from Bang Tao bay (closer).

Is Karon Beach resort a lock ? Haven't stayed at either, but Marina looks a little nicer, if you want tropical. Good view from KB resort though.

If you plan on using Simba or PST for your Phi Phi trip, book asap before you go. Otherwise book when you get there.

Hint: search this forum for 28 degree mastercard.

2. Re: 3 days Bang Tao - 3 days Karon - where to from each ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2012, 12:31
Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days Bang Tao - 3 days Karon - where to from each ?

Thanks for your Mr Gino contact Lucamalee, as I will need a driver for tours.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr G-World, I cant sit still for 5 minutes, so 2 locations it is then. (longer would be nicer - but doing 4 days in KL prior)

KB Resort is good position for price. Seaview and sunsets from room, beachside dining/breakfasts. Easy stroll to shops/restaurants (Ging) at night. Close & far to Patong. Not sure on the combo bath/shower - perhaps not a good sign. Reviews seem OK.

Dusit, seems good quality authentic Thai resort (Thai owned chain), should make up for KBR bathroom, and yes, we plan on lazying around there and wandering the beachside path to the nearby resorts and eating at beach restaurants (Jo's) and bars. Thats after a bit of Hobbie cat sailing, sandcastles, mini golf with the kids etc. Plenty of shady trees through resort on way to the beach, (more serene/pristine than Karon perhaps?) so should get us ready for the short trip back to airport for our marathon flight home.

Will ask for the extensions at each resort - good tip and yes, have the 28D MCard. We're using it as the holiday/savings account.

Didnt know tours picked-up/dropped-off at hotels. That'll save taxis.

Next question:

If I get the mobile number of a good taxi driver (Bang Tao & Karon referrals please anyone), would there be a problem with the hotel if I called him to collect us at the respective lobby ? ie Bang Tao to Phang Nga or Karon to Kata (elephant) daytrips at a good rate.

Also, Monkeys close by somewhere ?

And, if you were me, what else could you do ?

4. Re: 3 days Bang Tao - 3 days Karon - where to from each ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 10:41