We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boat trips to Islands

London, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Boat trips to Islands

We will be staying in Karon beach in 3 weeks time and want to go on a boat trip to Phi Phi, Phuket sail tours sound good but expensive. Would you recommend booking in advance or turning up.? also any other recommended boat tours that may be cheaper? Phi Phi sounds like a nice place to go but i know they do other trips to other islands on a sailing boat. as opposed to a speed boat. Any recommendations would be welcome,thanks.

Phuket Snorkeling by  Offspray Leisure
Boat Tours, Speed Boats Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Private Tours
Phuket Dive Tours
Boat Tours, Boat Hire, Speed Boats Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling
Phuket Best Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours, Speed Boats Tours
Mr. Not Phuket Exotic Tour
River Rafting & Tubing, Scuba & Snorkeling, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Speed Boats Tours
Perth
Level Contributor
328 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boat trips to Islands

We have made around 6 visits to Phuket in recent years and over that time have done a number of island day trips amongst others and you definetly get what you pay for. Sure you can get a cheaper trip but you will be put on an overcrowded boat and ferried about where all the other tourist boats are. It really is worth your money to pay more and have a less crowded and more professional experience.

Australia
Level Contributor
925 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Boat trips to Islands

As Charli said...

You need to book with PST now if you want a booking... they may already be booked out.

These tours are also of the same standard and cost as PST but will also need to be booked before you go and ASAP:

Simba Tours - Aloha Adventure Tours - Offspray Tours - Nudi Tours (bookings can be done on line thru their websites)

Edited: 26 March 2012, 01:32
Australia
Level Contributor
925 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Boat trips to Islands

sorry, it's>>>> Offspray Leisure Tours

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
970 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boat trips to Islands

We booked Simba Seas well in advance for 2 tours ...Phi Phi and Phang Nga, to be honest, the price reassured me, more expensive than the others, but new speedboat/ life jackets/ top crew/ fabulous food/ ...

Saving a few dollars means compromising on something... quality of boat/ higher number of passengers... these operators with high ratings are there for a reason.

Both our tours were fantastic and well worth the extra dollars.

Phuket
Level Contributor
597 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boat trips to Islands

Hi Sarah , Please be very wary of operators and agents selling you trips to the Phi Phi Islands for a cheap price . They ram the boats with 50 - 80 passengers and you are very much seen as a 'customer' and not a 'guest' on the boat . They will likely hit you up for extra money for fins and masks and snorkels once you arrive at the marina ( even though you have just paid for a snorkeling trip )

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
273 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boat trips to Islands

Totally concue with Ozzie,

We did both Phang Nga and Phi Phi with Simba and wouldnt do it any other way. Both trips were awesome.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,667 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boat trips to Islands

Hi

Phuket Sail tours (or the other more expensive trips) are worth very single penny. What price safety?

Phuket Sail tours have very low numbers on the boats so you don't feel crushed and it is more like a day out with mates. Everything is included except beer. They are, IMO, the best that others aspire to!

Booking beforehand is essential.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boat trips to Islands

-50 - 80 passengers... Maybe ? Most I saw was 30 on one largish speedboat, but hey, I don't go every day. The speedboat had 3 rows of seats longways and it was pretty full. Don't know where they could fit another 20.

- They will likely hit you up for extra money for fins and masks and snorkels... I've found usually the only extra is fins.

You can get a reasonable quality trip to Phi Phi with cheaper operators if the boats aren't too full. Trouble is, they will keep booking seats till they are at there maximum capacity. You have no way of knowing how full the boat will be till you get there.

We've done 2 tours with PST and they were a reasonable outfit to go with. Last time we chartered our own boat, but we saw their other boat. It was full, but not overfull. If you don't mind a bit of a crowd, it's about half what Simba charge.

But I'm betting if you go with a cheapy, your lunch on Phi Phi will be disgusting. The place the cheapies go to serves slop. And there was green algal film on the water containers where you self served your drinks. Ugh ! The rest of the trip was fine, but at lunchtime I wished I'd gone with the big boys.

Phuket Thailand
Level Contributor
3,664 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boat trips to Islands

Hedy Gocda, I think you may have put the name of the wrong company up there? PST?

Mind you, we would love to have you aboard.

btw, there are a few 5 engine speed boats that take up to 90 people. That's no reflection on the tour or the company, I am sure there is a big saving all round for everyone when it comes to that number of passengers.

Mark.

London, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Boat trips to Islands

Thanks for all your helpful responses, i think i will stick with one of the smaller tour operators. Cant afford to do both tours, any recommendations of which one to do, Phi Phi or the sailing trip to Phang Nga? Cheers