We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Elephant trekking

Auckland, Auckland...
Level Contributor
36 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Elephant trekking

Hi there have seen many people recommend Kok Chang Safari for elephant trekking, I am still iffy on whether or not to do it as I deffinately don't want to go trekking with a company that has beaten/treats the elephants badly. I have heard many trekking companies do this!! Does this company treat their elephants well?? Or does anyone know of a safari company that is kind to their animals? or is this unrealistic in elephant tracks and would I be better off giving it a miss? THANKS :)

1. Re: Elephant trekking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 April 2012, 08:06
Edited: 08 April 2012, 08:06
2. Re: Elephant trekking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 07:38
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
534 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Elephant trekking

Hi Abigail, we recently went on a trek with Kok Chang and they seemed to treat the elephants well, and they looked well cared for. We were picked up from our accommodations, driven there and then went for a half hour trek through the trees etc. My husband was on one elephant that kept wanting to go its own way, and although it was talked loudly to, it was not mistreated, and we all just had a good laugh about it. After the trek we donated some coins to them and bought some bananas to feed the elephants. You do not have to pay anything for the bananas if you do not want to, it is only by donation.

We also were a bit wary of mistreatment, but during our time there, and we did stay and have a drink, the animals seemed happy.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
421 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Elephant trekking

Abigail,

I first found out about kok Chang from this forum.

Our family has been to Phuket 3 times now and every time we head to kok Chang for an elephant trek.

The 3 times we have been there we have never seen any mistreatment of any elephant and are happy to recommend.

If I can recall the platform you walk up has the names of the elephants on it and has records of which elephant has been on what trek.

Nellie

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
764 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Elephant trekking

I have never witnessed any mistreatment of the Ellies at Kok Chang. Should you be unsure about wanting to have a trek on the elephants you can always sit in the adjacent bar, enjoy a cool drink and feed the elephants. Either way it is a great experience.

Andy

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
750 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Elephant trekking

We went to Kok Chang at the beginning of September and all the elephants appeared well treated and well fed. They love their food so if you go, be sure to feed them lots! Especially the whole pineapples...you could see them getting excited when they saw one!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Elephant trekking

Animals are trained at an extremely young age to be submissive...

Elephants are no exception....It is the way elephants are trained at such a young age which disturbs me....The training rituals are so secretive...The stories are horrific...

True..I am no expert and have limited knowledge of elephant training,but what I have researched is quite disturbing....

Of course,the elephants seem well treated in the camps...They have all been broken in....Including their spirits....!!....

Are elephants really the wild animals or are we...??...

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Elephant trekking

Cocotang, is it any different to training a horse to wear a saddle and carry a rider? or a bullock to pull a plough? , probably not.

Abigail, if so many people here on TA recommend Kok Chang, I would trust them.

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Elephant trekking

Hey Abigail,

we have used Kok Chang as well as Siam Safari, both are very good & from our experiance & family memebers we have sent there we have seen no signs of mistreatment & the elephants appear well looked after & content.

Safe travels & have fun

Vinny

Geelong
Level Contributor
423 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Elephant trekking

Cocotang...............people are more cruel to other people in this world. Taking young kids to learn about Elephants is only a positive step towards people having respect for animals.