We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DVD's & CD's what is the quality like these days???

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
207 reviews
Save Topic
DVD's & CD's what is the quality like these days???

In 2008 we purchased a number of DVD's & CD's from a TA recommended retailer in Patong (down a back alley behind a shop).

Sure we only paid about Aust $2.00 for each of them but there is nothing more frustrating than getting 3/4's through a movie and the DVD stops.

We are going back to Phuket in 2 weeks.

Can anyone recommend a retailer in Patong or Kata where you have purchased good quality and managed to watch all the movie.

Thanks

Pam

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,118 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DVD's & CD's what is the quality like these days???

I'm sure you mean a retailer recommended by someone on TA as opposed to "recommended by TA" as they would, of course, not want to be associated with promoting illegal goods/activities and it is against TA guidelines. ;-)

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
93 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DVD's & CD's what is the quality like these days???

Bought some in patong last week and no problems.The guy actually had a computer there and tested them for us before we bought them!

He was at the northern end of Beach Rd.

Edited: 08 April 2012, 10:04
Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,162 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DVD's & CD's what is the quality like these days???

^^^ ditto.... we bought some at Otop markets at 30baht each.

Be sure to view the DVDs before buying!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,378 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DVD's & CD's what is the quality like these days???

We have bought a lot of DVD's over the past few years and while we expected the new releases to be of average quality we have also noticed the qaulity of other not so recent release DVD's to have dropped significantly. DVD's cutting out mid film, others pixilating and getting progressively worse as they go on until they are unwatchable. The sellers have become become more aggressive and to even suggest a discount based on volume of sales is met met with a quite hostile response. My wife likes stocking up on DVD's but frankly I don't care and after last years experience and the overall poor quality I won't be going back. I understand they are copies but the product still has to be usable.

Edited: 08 April 2012, 11:52
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DVD's & CD's what is the quality like these days???

If your discs don't work, try another player. Some DVD's that cut out half way through, or only played some dialogue on two of my DVD players, played perfectly on another. It seems the rule is the cheaper your DVD player, the more likely it will play a poor quality DVD. My $29 player plays everything, and if there's bad sections, it skips them and goes to the next good section.

st clair nsw
Level Contributor
157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: DVD's & CD's what is the quality like these days???

I think the quality is getting better than 2008. Like Heids said just watch them b4 u buy. I use Mr.Honest (Appropriate name..lol) he is located on the beach rd in between Soi Kepsap and Soi Ruam Jai, just look for his batter with Mr Honest on it. Good luck.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: DVD's & CD's what is the quality like these days???

just a passing thought for a dollar what do u expect

bought heaps in phuket last trip in the little room nice aircon

back of indain tailors shop

all good about 90% worked

chris

8. Re: DVD's & CD's what is the quality like these days???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2013, 10:28