We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rice fields

Mornington
Level Contributor
53 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Rice fields

We are arriving in Phuket on 4th June and cannot wait!! This is our second trip but my son and his girlfriends first time in the LOS so I'm wondering if there are any picturesque rice fields that we could see on a tour?? Also has anyone done the two hour avt tour (quad bikes) cause my partner and son would like it but wondering if it would be ok for of girls with no experience??

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,546 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rice fields

Rice Paddies in Phuket, are you serious? You will see rubber plantations and possibly coconut plantations (not working ones), but you won't see many rice paddies - I did read somewhere about a rice paddy in Mai Khai, north Phuket though, so maybe I'm wrong.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rice fields

Its not the place for rice paddies. Phuket's history is that of tin mining and rubber plus its geography is not really suitable for sustainable rice farms. Many of the big hotels are built above old tin mines. Phuket is a mass tourism destination and apart from a national park, its becoming more and more built up. The mainland (especially the large flat plains) are the place to see rice fields. If you're spending any time in Bangkok, there are rice fields just outside the city.

Mornington
Level Contributor
53 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rice fields

Thanks heaps for your reply we are going to Bangkok first so maybe there. I did read that you can do some ox cart tour through rice fields in Phuket but also read another story saying the rice fields have stopped working so just wasn't sure. Thanks again!!!

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,546 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rice fields

We did see what I think were rice fields when we headed south out of Bangkok, there were certainly lots of things being grown around that area.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rice fields

Bangkok is surrounded by rice fields - even in the outer suburbs you can see them. Parts of Ayuddhya have almost nothing else...and in Nonthaburi cross the river and you'll be falling into them!

Phuket Thailand
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rice fields

There were rice paddies in Phuket just a couple of years back. Near where I live, I haven't looked lately.

Have a look at Amazing Bike Tours Kho Yao trips. They are very good trips and I think they include rice paddies. Also a lot of other stuff, so a great day out. I don't think rice paddies alone will hold your son's attention for very long.

You will find Amazing Bike Tours reviews at 'things to do', then 'tours'.

Please don't do the atv at Big Buddha. Scares the hell out of me just watching the novices going down the hill.

All the best,

Mark.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rice fields

You should go to the Rice terraces in northern Luzon ,Philippines. Now thats scenic

8. Re: Rice fields

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 12:16