We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question time! - Duty Free

London, United...
Level Contributor
174 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Question time! - Duty Free

Hello All,

Im flying from UK to Phuket via Bangkok on 1st June, and was thinking about Duty free as i prefer to drink offical Bacardi and real cigarettes when im on holiday my only worry is that:

1. How much Alcohol and Cigarettes can i buy from UK duty free?

OR

2. Should i buy from Bangkok Airport before i get connecting flight to Phuket which are 45 mins apart?

OR

3. Does Phuket have a duty free i can buy from before i go to my hotel for 10 nights?

i only stated 'Official' as i know from previous experience that the smokes and alcohol on the high streets sometimes are duff, so my question is probably more focused on where would it be cheaper to buy the above? also wife would like to buy perfumes for herself.

Thank you all in advance for taking time to read this thread. :)

happy holidaying! (if thats a word!!)

Andy

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question time! - Duty Free

going into phuket is domestic so buying dutyfree is out .

u need to buy your duty free in london and make sure you dont break the seal .

i flew domestic still had the johnnie walker in my hand luggage i forgot

i had to tip it out , as it was over 100mls of liquid .

smokes u can buy in bkk if u have time transferring to the phuket flight or if u are staying in bkk overnite you can buy duty free on the way out

smokes i think 1 ctn per person, liquer 1125ml per person

chris

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,037 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question time! - Duty Free

Are you collecting your luggage in Bangkok ? If so, if you buy your DF in UK (or even on your way out to Customs in Bangkok) you'll be able to pack it in your checked luggage at Bangkok airport.

Genuine alcohol can be readily found in Phuket, but much of it is made "under licence" in the Philippines and you are right; it doesn't taste the same. I did find Made In England alcohol in shops in Phuket (Gin) and it was only a little more expensive than the Philippines stuff, and not a lot more expensive than DF anyway. Just check the labels to see where it's made, and maybe buy it from the big Supermarket rather than a 7/11.

From the FAQ:

As per Thai Customs regulations, a passenger may bring and pass through Customs without any Thai taxes due, ONE LITRE of alcoholic beverage (33 fluid ounces). You may also bring 200 cigarettes or 250 grammes of loose tobacco or 250 grammes of cigars.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
45 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question time! - Duty Free

thanks

4. Re: Question time! - Duty Free

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 19:17