We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thunderstorms?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Thunderstorms?

I'm due to be in Phuket next week and the weather forecast is predicting thunderstorms everyday. So disappointed. Do you think I'll get any sun at all?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Thunderstorms?

Its a tropical island and all tropical islands get thunderstorms. I've never heard of a thunderstorm lasting all day. In reality what you've read is the 'possibility' of thunderstorms - that's different. Weather forecasts as we all know are notoriously unreliable and few storms would last longer than an hour, most would be less, and the chances of storms every day are not that great.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
39 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thunderstorms?

I thought the same thing week before I arrived in Phuket last week.Now I am dealing with a bit of sunburn issue ;) Thunderstorms are short lived and I am pretty sure you'll get some sun. Its been very hot last few days.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thunderstorms?

Thank you so much, that is encouraging!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thunderstorms?

Check out Karon beach web cam and see live weather for yourself

Rawai Beach, Phuket
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
889 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thunderstorms?

Last night I was up at Nai Yang beach.

Great weather, stars out.

Then coming home we ran through 2 spots of very wet road.

So, the storms are scattered (and generally short)

We did have some rain early this morning (5 AM) here in Rawai.

Don't worry so much about the weather. Most likely you will have a little bit of everyrthing.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thunderstorms?

You allways (well mostly always) get thunder showers this time of year. It will still be hot and humid and most of the time you will have good weather even if it's overcast. Don't worry you'll have a great time.

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Thunderstorms?

its low season , it can be stormy,thats why its called low season, thats why hotels are as cheap as chips in low season

London, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Thunderstorms?

Just had a look as well. Looks like there could be quite a lot of rain. Does the sun usually shine when it is not raining? Comments elsewhere on the forum suggest that the rain is confined to a small period of time. Hotel was very expensive but looks like you get what you pay for!

One other point. Staying at the Shore at Katathani and have a flight at 12:10 back to Bankok. Have arranged a pick up from the hotel to the airport for 9:15am. Is this enough time - not sure how long it takes to the airport and to get through the airport?

London, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Thunderstorms?

Another point. Will it be island hopping weather? Got a tour booked with PST to Phi Phi and am really looking forward to it.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thunderstorms?

Thanks two4travel but I don't see how checking out today's weather is going to help set my mind at ease for next weeks forecast.

And andy53 I understand it's low season but what I wanted is some thoughts based on experience at this time of year. My yahoo weather iPhone app is showing thunderstorms and clouds every day for the next 7 days.

I just wanted some genuine thoughts if we would have any sunshine based on experience.

Thanks so much lotus67, fiddledude and magpie59, much appreciated.