We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

female solo traveler in July, recommendation for resorts?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
female solo traveler in July, recommendation for resorts?

I will be traveling along in late July. After spending the past few days reading reviews, I still can't decide where I should stay on Phuket. Most of the reviews are written for family. (Wish tripadvisor adds a choice for restricting reviews for solo traveler)

Want a safe hotel that is convenient located to local dining options (I don't mind walking, but not quite how safe it is to take taxi or tuktuk by myself at night). within 15 minutes walking distance to beach.

I read about the dangerous undercurrents and waves during Monsoon season, is that all over phuket? Or is it better in some beaches than others?

Thanks in advance.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: female solo traveler in July, recommendation for resorts?

In regard to swimming Please read the first FAQ in the Top Questions on the right - your life may depend on it.

Rawai Beach, Phuket
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
884 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: female solo traveler in July, recommendation for resorts?

Check out Shanti Lodge in Chalong.

Not walkable to the beach but, many farang girls go there and I think you would feel as safe there as anywhere.

They have one in Bangkok too although this one is much more laid back.

Sanctuary Point...
Level Contributor
560 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: female solo traveler in July, recommendation for resorts?

Hi there I travelled solo and my first trip in Feb, had a blast. Stayed at the Banthai in Patong which was perfect, so central to everything. But if helps go to my comments while I was there, I posted daily. "First timer here update" I hope this helps

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: female solo traveler in July, recommendation for resorts?

Thank you for the reply so far.

I should be more specific about my request:

I am thinking about avoiding Patong because I am not into night life.

Also avoiding kata and Karon beaches because of the wave during Monsoon season.

I do want to go scuba diving and enjoy local food (rather than eating at hotel). Willing to pay a bit more for room (up to 200USD / night).

What other beach/hotel option do I have? (Rawai? Phuket town?)

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: female solo traveler in July, recommendation for resorts?

I would answer my own question. I ended up staying at the B Lay Tong in Patong. It's about 15 minutes walk to Bangla Road. The hotel was great. Just perfect distance from away from busy part of Patong.

6. Re: female solo traveler in July, recommendation for resorts?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2013, 10:15