We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending money?!

Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Spending money?!

My girlfriend and I are going to Phuket for 12 days from the 13th of July. We have never been there and have no idea about how much spending money to take and whether or not to exchange our money here or when we get there? Any help would be much appreciated. Thankyou

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spending money?!

Hi Toneee

All depends on what you're buying,do you mean just food and drinks or or shopping and trips,massages etc. Meals are Aud5-10 approx and most drinks are cheap except wine. My wife and I average about $100 a day or less for both of us all inclusive.Definitely change your money there, take cash there are money changers everywhere.

Best Regards RED

Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spending money?!

Cheers red. We have only paid for the accommodation so I was wondering about all other expenses. $100 a day sounds alright to me, although like most she has a shopping problem so it might have to be a little bit more than $100 a day. I have heard a few people say exchanging it over there is the way to go. Thanks for that

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spending money?!

Definitely exchange over there. Do not be tempted to even exchange a little at your airport on the way out. Phuket airport rates will be better than home, and once in Patong/Karon/Kata etc, they'll be a little better again.

$100 per day is the magic number. Non-shopping days you won't even come close to that, but it's a good average.

I just take cash now, with the 28 Degree card loaded with my own cash as back up, and my usual Visa card for where I feel safe using Visa (eg Jungceylon).

Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spending money?!

Thanks alot. And what is a 28 degree card? Haha

5. Re: Spending money?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 03:15