We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My experience: overstaying visa by one day

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
My experience: overstaying visa by one day

Hi all

I was packing my bags last night ready to fly out of Phuket, when I took a second look at my passport and realized that I had overstayed by visa by one day. I had arrived in Thailand on May 16th, and made the assumption that my visa was expiring on June 16th - daft assumption, but I am sure that in previous countries this system worked!

I searched the TA site to see what might happen and got a mix of results.

For your information - my experience flying out of Phuket in June 2012 was that when I walked up to the immigration counter, the official looked through my passport, simply said "500 baht", and pointed to the little 'overstay' office behind him. I went in there, paid my 500 (looking meek and apologetic), and that was that - money was taken, passport was stamped, and there is also some sort of note written against my visa stamp.

This is clearly a common error and nothing to panic about. On this day at least, there was no 'waiver' or 'one-day pass' as some suggest (maybe this happens more in Bangkok, where the tourist traffic is huge), but it wasn't a biggie either.

If you have just realized that you have made the same mistake, and are searching TA for answers, I suggest you don't worry too much -they are likely interested in the 'real' overstayers who have been there much longer, and in any other 'dodgies'.

I would note though that the common theme in these forums is that even if you have overstayed by only one day you should try to avoid contact with the police at all costs - there's apparently a 'law' that they are required to report any overstay. I am sure there are plenty of expats who would tell tales otherwise, but there you go.

Treasure Island
Sightseeing Tours
Phuket Best Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours, Speed Boats Tours
Chai travel and Day Tour in Phuket
Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours
Searunner Speedboat Phuket
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Speed Boats Tours
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,831 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My experience: overstaying visa by one day

australians are visa exempt ...yay

Edited: 15 June 2012, 11:53
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: My experience: overstaying visa by one day

"australians are visa exempt ...yay" - so are many other nationalities but you still only get 30 days. Overstaying at 30 (or 15) day visa waiver stamp subjects you to the same fines and the same nasty "Overstayed" stamp in your passport. While a one day overstay is currently not really an issue, no one knows what the future might bring.

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: My experience: overstaying visa by one day

i posted a similar overstay recently bex

its not a 30 visa btw, its a 30 day visa waiver

anyway i overstayed by 2 days but i guess i was lucky as no one looked and i sailed through

my 3 freinds did a similar thing a few years ago (2 days over and were called into the office the officer said 1000bht each--but took 500bht from each of them "under the table"

don,y u just love thailand!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,497 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My experience: overstaying visa by one day

Thanks your post will give peace of mind to a lot of people.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My experience: overstaying visa by one day

Just as in any other country, you should never overstay your permission to stay

Bex2244 appears to have made an innocent error and behaved in the correct manner in the circumstances

However, you should always allow a few days extra because in travels you just never ever know what can happen. Domesic travel delays, numerous other things could delay you.

But people should note with care Not to overstay

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My experience: overstaying visa by one day

Cool to get those replies from you all - yep, I was posting so that this might bring some peace of mind to those in similar situations.

You guys are right in pointing out that it is not a visa, but a 'visa exempt' - and also right in strongly emphasizing that 'visa exempt' for NZ, Oz and other nationalities still only applies for exactly 30 days - after which you become an 'overstayer' and end up trawling TA for advice! :)

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My experience: overstaying visa by one day

Why don't they just get up with the times and offer 90 day Visa's like many other Asian countries,especially when so many Thais rely on the Tourist Baht!

belgium
Level Contributor
153 posts
999 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My experience: overstaying visa by one day

some years ago i had also accidently overstayed for 1 day...i had the money ready and was quite prepared to pay the fine, but the guy just stamped my passport and said nothing...maybe he didn't notice?

anyways, that was some nice extra beer money :-)

Bangkok
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My experience: overstaying visa by one day

Thailand is quite 'up with the times'

60 day tourist visas are readily available from Thai Consulates and consul departments at Thai Embassies, and have been available for many decades.

Edited: 15 June 2012, 16:25
Yorkshire UK
Level Contributor
25 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My experience: overstaying visa by one day

15 days if arriving via land border. Be careful not to assume 30 days as this would become significant overstay.