We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

swimming not safe,but how about surfing?

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
87 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
swimming not safe,but how about surfing?

This may seem like a silly question,but after reading about all the recent drownings/ rips etc.. I was wondering if surfing was still on the cards? Do red flags apply to surfers also, or just swimmers?

I have no intention of going out in a crazy storm or large messy waves,but a few lazy sliders would be good!

1. Re: swimming not safe,but how about surfing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 June 2012, 10:35
Australia
Level Contributor
925 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: swimming not safe,but how about surfing?

lol

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: swimming not safe,but how about surfing?

When the Red Flags fly it means it is Not Safe to go in the water.

It is that simple !

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: swimming not safe,but how about surfing?

When I was a few years (well, maybe 20 years) younger I spent a lot of time surfing, mainly in Victoria. Rips, undertows, tides , reef breaks and sand banks were all part of the experience. If you are an experienced surfer the monsoon conditions in Phuket are pretty similar to a winters day at Gunamatta or Phillip Island. If your not experienced, best give it a miss.

Edited: 21 June 2012, 14:01
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: swimming not safe,but how about surfing?

Poor advice really, when you count the number of people who have drowned this year (including a foreign life guard), last year, the year before. Of course if you want to become a statistic...

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: swimming not safe,but how about surfing?

Red flags mean don't even think about going into the water.

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
87 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: swimming not safe,but how about surfing?

Thanks for the genuine replies!

Post 1. I find your attitude dumbest of the year!

I was after a local condition report as I surf all year round through rips ,currents,and undertoes,in Australia.Paddling around on a large floatation device is a bit different to swimming in terrible beach conditions when you come from a land locked country with no prior beach knowledge!

But saying that I have no knowledge of conditions in phuket,and felt it was a worthy question.Of course I wouldn't want to endanger myself or local lifeguards!

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: swimming not safe,but how about surfing?

no offence noosa

but have you seen all the drownings that have been reported on here

i assume not or you wouldn,t have asked your question

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,876 posts
417 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: swimming not safe,but how about surfing?

Well I am not a surfer lol, but I think if you are an experienced surfer then yes, it is most definately still on the cards. We have often seen many many Thais surfing at Kalim beach, Patong bay Kata Noi beach when the waves are big enough, which is quite often during low season. Plus the Quicksilver surfing classic is held here in low season!!!!

Cathy

Edited: 21 June 2012, 20:49
Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
87 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: swimming not safe,but how about surfing?

Thankyou Cathy. That's what I thought.maybe best to check with life guards and local surfers when we get there also for a bit of local info.

Andy.I have sadly read about all the deaths this year.and that's why I posted this so called stupid question! FYI,surfers often go to the aid of swimmers in trouble and have saved many a life too!

Remember TA is suppose to give fellow travellers advice, not insult them.