We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety for teens in and around Patong

Melbourne, Australia
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Safety for teens in and around Patong

Hi, I'm thinking of going to Phuket with my 2 teens (blonde female aged 17 and 14 year old 6'2' tall male) and I have been told by the travel agent that they will need to be with us the whole time due to safety issues. She informs me that gangs target young people and that especially my daughter is vulnerable. If this is the case is there a safer part of Thailand to travel to or is this travel agent a bit paranoid? Thanks

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
406 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety for teens in and around Patong

I have been to Thailand several times. Exercise the same amount of caution you would sending your kids into Melbourne CBD alone at night. Depending on your individual kids how mature and street smart they are the should be ok if they stick together and exercise some maturity and self awareness

Melbourne, Australia
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety for teens in and around Patong

Thanks for your prompt reply. It is probably only during the day time that they may wish to venture by themselves.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,636 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety for teens in and around Patong

I think your travel agent, while well meaning, is a bit paranoid. Your kids should be fine during the day. Our two teens (F17 & M15) used to go shopping at the markets by themselves all of the time. In light of recent events I wouldn't let the female carry a hand bag and tell them to keep clear of the rod side or quiet side streets. I don't think I'd want them going out at night though.

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety for teens in and around Patong

There are safer places in Thailand, and almost anywhere is cheaper than Phuket. You'd all love Chiangmai, and as for beach resorts there is a dizzying choice.

Koh Lanta, Krabi, Khao Lak, Trang, Rayong, Koh Chang, Koh Samed, Hua Hin, etc etc. I suspect your travel agents knows nothing much about Thailand anyway.

Edited: 25 June 2012, 05:08
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety for teens in and around Patong

In our experience, your son will get much more attention than your daughter!!! Like other posters and in light of recent events, everyone just needs to take care. We will be in Phuket next week with a large group including 12 teenagers. Would not be keen for them to be out out night by themselves in Patong so we are only spending a couple of days in Patong then plan to head down to Karon where it is not as busy. You will have a wonderful time- just be sensible as you would be in Melbourne!!!

Newcastle, New...
Level Contributor
129 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety for teens in and around Patong

Sounds like the travel agent is a bit over the top...

I went to patong aged 15 and wandered arou d with teens the same age by ourselves. Just need to keep an eye out and stay alert. Night time is better to stay with the family, day time is fine.

And as an above poster said your son will probably get more attention than your daughter , funny but true.

Stay safe and enjoy your time away.

Edited: 25 June 2012, 06:36
Level Contributor
658 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety for teens in and around Patong

I would not let my teenagers (13, 15) out on their own at night in Patong and barely in Ao Nang either, but it felt OK at other places in Thailand (Lanta appears very safe and I have left them behind to walk home hours later than the adults also in areas with bars for several years now; never any hint of a problem; I worry more in Stockholm...)

Edited: 25 June 2012, 08:37
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
10,242 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety for teens in and around Patong

Got to admit that Patong would not be my favourite place to let my kids roam about at night but that said I have been there with an 18 year old daughter and 13 year old son and after carefull explanations of risks etc I did let them go out in the evenings without me so long as they stayed together advised me where they were going and took phones with them with Thai sim cards and my Thai number on their speed dial.

During the day no problems although I did give them the basic common sense talk before they went off.

Perth, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety for teens in and around Patong

We will be in Patong next week, with our 14 year old daughter and her best friend, also 14. We plan to allow them remain at the hotel by themselves and spend time at the Jungceylon mall during the day. Pretty much the same level of freedom they have here in Perth.

Wouldn't consider letting them out alone after dark, maybe in other parts of Thailand, but I still think that there is too many weirdo types kicking around in Patong to allow any more freedom than that.

Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety for teens in and around Patong

I agree with what others have said.

It is also a matter of what they see and the impression that has on them of Thailand.

Without wishing to veer off topic I always think it is a good idea to have at least have a few days away from the touristy places so they can at least get an idea of the rest of Thailand and hopefully not go back home having had Patong as their only insight - I am sure you know what I mean.

It is easy to spend a few days and nights off Phuket, perhaps Khao Sok National Park , most teens I would think would absolutely love the place. It is easy to get to and shows something completely different.

Or mix the holiday with time away around Phang Nga near Phuket, or elsewhere.

Head over the bridge off Phuket and you are a world away :) - I think a good idea that they can see even just a little more of Thailand away from the malls and concrete.

Thailand has just oh so much to offer.

Edited: 25 June 2012, 10:03