We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Airline

Victoria
Level Contributor
525 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Which Airline

We travelled to Phuket 6yrs ago, and flew with Thai airways from Melbourne Aus.

The transfer at Bangkok was, let me say, a nightmare, however we did have our 2 children with us, (9 and 13) this time it will be just us.

We are looking for, if possible a direct flight, or one that has a short stop over. Dont want a LCC.

Any suggestions? or recommendations?

We are not going until next July , but Im trying to get an idea on which airline, so I can get a good deal.

Thanks to those who can help.

Deb

Edited: 27 June 2012, 12:58
Bangkok
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Airline

Well if you do not want a low cost carrier one of the nicest ways from Melbourne to Phuket is with Singapore Airlines.

Connecting is a breeze at Singapore ( you continue Singapore to Phuket on Silk Air, 1 hr 40 mins, but that is owned by Singapore Airlines ) so you get boarding passes in MEL all the way and baggage checked through.

On the return from Phuket you and your baggage checked through to Melbourne.

I think you will find even twice daily good connections, but whatever lovely airline and connecting in Singapore is great :)

perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Airline

Hi

Yes agree with Monica we flew with singapore airlines out from Perth to Singapore with just short stop over then silk airs to Phuket. Ours bags were check through from Perth to Phuket and the same return to Perth. Good airlines comfortable with all entertainments. You will love Singapore airport.

Good luck

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,944 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Airline

I agree Singapore Airlines are fantastic and their prices are very competitive if you book during their sales, they are our favorite airline:)

Cathy

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,384 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Airline

Now watch me get shot for this one lol. From Sydney I still have to say my fav flight is with. Jetstar. Yes I cab hear you all now. But its a direct flight so no stop overs, flight tines are great about 130pm out of Sydney so don't have to deal with peak hour traffic. Arrive phuket about 830pm phuket time. Then flight home does not leave until about 10pm so you have the whole day there. Yes its not a full service airline but if you get a deal flights can be cheap. Food on board (if you pre order meal ) is good for airline food, better than Thai Air . For me its all about direct flight.

Michelle

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
796 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Airline

Currently no direct flights to Phuket from Melbourne. I like the overnight flights with Malaysia Air via KL. The MEL - KUL leg is longer (more time to sleep) and short layover in KL. Then 1 1/4 hrs flight to Phuket. Same applies in reverse on return. Good prices can be had if you watch for specials.

Singapore Airlines is also recommended, the A380 on the SIN - MEL leg is an experience in itself.

Edited: 27 June 2012, 23:58
Adelaide
Level Contributor
354 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Airline

My 2 cents: Singapore Airlines above & beyond. Service, In flight ent, seat space, food/bev, smooth & quick stopovers.

Sam :-)

Melbourne
Level Contributor
61 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Airline

I love Thai so I would stick with them. Look out for deals on Jetstar Business Class. It's not really BC but Premium Economy but way better than economy. I have used it three times Mel- Bkk and it's great. Sometimes it is reduced and well worth the extra money, nowhere near a business class price either.

Victoria
Level Contributor
525 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Airline

Thanks everyone for your advice, Singapore Airlines might be the way to go.

Does anyone know when they have their "Sales", or the best way to keep a look out for them?

Thanks again TA rocks

Deb

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
193 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Airline

I agree with uncle Hollywood - Malaysia airlines ate fantastic and the transfer at KL is easy. Good food and entertainment options as well!

Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Airline

We just come back we got Internet sale fares airasia $500 return to Phuket 4 hour stopover gives you a chance to have a couple of beers when we looked they where about $400 cheaper