We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

prescription glasses

Echuca
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Topic
prescription glasses

We are travelling to Phuket/Karon in August, hoping to get my prescription sunglasses over there. Any recommendations for where I can get good quality and good prices? Do I need to take my presctiption with me or will they test me there?

Warrnambool...
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: prescription glasses

Hi! I'm not sure about the quality or cost in Thailand but If you go to Patong there was a place just outside the Baumanburi resort (close to Otop).

I use to work as a dispensor at the optomertist in Melb and I delt with a few people wanting their presciptions for this reason. I would take the prescription with you at least you know the optom in Aus is qualified. Just be really really careful as I know in some countrys (India is one, not sure about Thailand) the quality is pretty crap and sometimes the prescription they put in is wrong. Essilor is a company that deals with lenses and I remember seeing a few essilor signs on beach road in patong, adoubt it would be the same product but it may be worth a try if you can save heaps? ALSO just bear in mind warrantys and it can be a little difficult to send back if you have any problams.

I didn't really answer your question but I hope I helped a little :-)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,321 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: prescription glasses

Fiona

They will test you there or you can take your prescription with you. Which if you have a crrent one I would probably do.

They are 100's of places there (well maybe a few less in Karon than Patong.

Most common one is Top Charoen ( guess its like our OPSM)

Just go in and see if you like their frames, if not try another, they all seem to stock different stuff.

Price will depend upon the frame you choose ( I have a bad habit of choosing the more expensive ones.

I got 2 pair last year (also more bargining power) for approx $300 Aud. one Pair was $100 (metal frame ) and the other pair $200 (plastic heavier frame.

Originally the price was a bit more but said no more than I wanted to spend and got bigger discount.

Michelle

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
87 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: prescription glasses

My mum had some glasses made and wasn't happy with them,they said she would adjust to them.But on return home went to opt who said they were totally wrong.Had to start all over at quite an expense.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: prescription glasses

If you have health cover extras cover, it's cheaper at home. Unless you are going for really expensive designer frames. Even without extras cover, my prescription Alex Perry sunglasses from specsavers would have been about $150. With extras, 2 pairs for free. Contact lenses were much cheaper in Phuket.

5. Re: prescription glasses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2013, 10:17