We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you really need to surrender passport when hiring bike?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
71 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Do you really need to surrender passport when hiring bike?

Hi all,

Do we really need to surrender our passport when hiring a motorbike? I'm heading over to Patong next month and my plans have heavy reliance on motorbike. Is there a way to hire motorbike without surrendering our passport?

Thanks in advance. My apologies if this qns was raised before.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Do you really need to surrender passport when hiring bike?

NEVER leave your passport with any business. Its illegal, its also the only document you have that proves both your nationality and your right to be in Thailand. Further, the police require foreigners to carry their passports at all times.

There is also the serious issue of accidents - Thailand has a motorcycle accident death rate of over 30 per day, with thousands of daily injuries. The local press (Phuket Gazette and others) carry frequent stories.

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Do you really need to surrender passport when hiring bike?

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-c133830/Thail…

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do you really need to surrender passport when hiring bike?

If you're determined to ride, have photocopies of your licence and passport available to offer vendors in lieu of originals. If you hold a Singapore drivers license for motorbike, you won't have to concern yourself with an international permit.

Do also make sure you also have appropriate travel insurance should the worse happen.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Do you really need to surrender passport when hiring bike?

And make sure that insurance allows riding a motorbike!

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,320 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do you really need to surrender passport when hiring bike?

You may have to look hard though to find somebody who will rent you a motorbike without leaving the passport.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,417 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do you really need to surrender passport when hiring bike?

Thailand's motorcycle fatality rate directly corresponds to its stupidity rate. http://tinyurl.com/cpoqnns This stupidity is often mirrored by foreign tourists on holiday.

There is no reason I would give my passport to anyone. It's a good way to wind up held hostage!

Edited: 22 July 2012, 12:00
Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach, Karon
Level Contributor
3,915 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do you really need to surrender passport when hiring bike?

Hi Ferrino - under no circumstances do you give your passport to anyone. It will be difficult to find someone to rent you a bike if you leave a photocopy, but you will eventually find someone.

The amount of times I have seen people return their bikes at the last minute (in a desperate rush for the airport) only to find that the motorbike hire shop is closed for the day. Also you could be held responsible for any damage etc and your passport would not be returned until you pay up.

Buderim, Australia
Level Contributor
182 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Do you really need to surrender passport when hiring bike?

An expired passport often works!. Failing that if your resort/hotel hires motorcycles a passport should not be required, you'll just pay a bit extra.

Cheers.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
508 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do you really need to surrender passport when hiring bike?

Hi

When i was there in april and may most of the motorbike hire places, wanted you to leave your passport, and would not except my copy. I tryed several places with no luck, but a few said they would take 5000 Baht instead of my passport, one of the places had all the passports in a plastic bag just sitting there, So no way was i leaving mine with them. In the end i did not worry and just walked or got a taxi. Passport is you lifeline when you are away and you dont want to loose it.

Cheers Andrew

Edited: 22 July 2012, 13:22
Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do you really need to surrender passport when hiring bike?

We rented a bike in Samui and they only took a photocopy of our passport, if they had insisted to keep our passport i wouldn't have hired the bike.