We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

High and low season

australia
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
High and low season

Hi All,

This addict is looking at the next trip to Phuket and was just wondering, does everything go up in high season?

I realise that hotel prices and maybe airfares?? go up, but do prices at the markets, restaurants, food stands, shops and that sort of thing go up?

Thanks in advance

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: High and low season

Food prices should be more or less static subject to normal inflation. Some unscrupulous shop keepers do hike prices a bit during high season. Airfares are certainly higher.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: High and low season

Restaurants will be the same price but hotels and airfares will be higher in High season.

australia
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: High and low season

Thanks bbtony.

australia
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: High and low season

Thank you too Chrella.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
5,813 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: High and low season

Hi evomal

you can get some good deals on airfares for high/peak seasons still, it depends when you book them, if you get in early with a good sale you should get a good price!, I got ours for $560 return (p/p) going on Dec 23rd and return 7th Jan 2013, booked back in Feb this year through Air Asia and Virgin (from Perth)

the hotel prices are higher, (as you know) sometimes up to 3x higher at peak (xmas period) than in low season, (no stay/pay deals at this time either) and also most have a charge for 'compulsary' gala dinners on Xmas Eve and NYE, price varies depending on the hotel, ours is 2200bhat p/p Xmas eve this year!! but it is a small resort, some larger 4 and 5* resorts can charge way more 5000bhat ++ p/p

everything else as said, shops,restaurants etc should be the same

happy planning :-)

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: High and low season

Menus will generally stay the same price but things like jet skis , sun beds and vendors selling clothes in Patong will probably try it on during high season .

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
154 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: High and low season

Hi Evomal,

Yes air and hotel prices will definietly increase also many of the day tours etc as it stands to reason that when there are less people looking for a service prices need to be more competitive. Have also found taxi's easier to negotiate with (not tuk tuks).

The big plus for me about off season though is the room to move, as Patong especially can be jam packed in peak season and with many trips in April, September & October have found the ability to still find a deserted section of beach well worth the risk of some rain.

Either way sure you will have a great time :-)

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,900 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: High and low season

You can get some cheaper accommodation (although slightly higher than low season) . We always stay at the Kata Minta in high season. Breakfast is always included in our room price. It is a 12 room guest house. Jacuzzi only and a 3-4 minute walk to Kata beach. No compulsary fee for NYE.

There would be other places like the Kata Minta around you just have to be lucky and find them. Places like these book up pretty early in the year for high season.

100baht for beach chairs in high season. One thing we noticed last high season on Kata beach was the beach vendors were reserving the beach chairs very early in the mornings. So there seemed to be a lot of people sitting on the sand and some vacant chairs were around.

Yes the traffic is very busy, restaurants, shops busy but because there are so many choices of restaurants and bars around you are not lining up for tables. Lots of people tend to stop in the middle of footpaths in groups so it can be awkward getting around them .lol.

You will be able to swim in the ocean. Just perfect conditions. High season should be experienced if you can do it . Low season is very different weather and volume of people wise..but it's your holiday so i'd say up to you. CJ

australia
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: High and low season

Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the advice. I am very undecided now...lol

We enjoyed low season in Phuket although it did rain. I suppose I just wanted to swim at the beach, and the kids have the longer school holidays at Christmas. Both hubby and I are not into crowded places because we get annoyed at how inconsiderate people can be. In saying all that, maybe I should wait for low season...that would be at least an extra five months to wait :(

How busy do the night markets get in high season then! It was shoulder to shoulder in low season!!!! lol They were great, but will give them a miss high or low season till no kids on holiday :)

After writing all this, I think low season.

Thanks for helping me. Don't know what I would do with the Ta members x

Edited: 24 July 2012, 05:44
Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,900 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: High and low season

evomal, if you really want to go Christmas time, have a look at Khao Lak, it is no where near as crowded as Phuket or Ao Nang/Krabi and there are beautiful beaches up that way also.

There is a night market in Khao Lak so if you want to read that forum you may get a better feel for the area.

The weekend Phuket Town Night Markets get pretty busy in high season also. Chin up, you'll find something. CJ