We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When to haggle and when not too.....???

Melb, Australia
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Topic
When to haggle and when not too.....???

Hi Fellow TAers....

We are leaving in less than 24 hrs for Phuket and I realised i finally had a question that hasn't already been answered for me...LOL

I am not too sure about this haggling with prices and where it it ok to do it or not. I do know to haggle prices (with a smile of course) at any markets, but what about clothing/ souvenir shops on Beach rd....?? Also I am going to get some boots made at friendship leather and some clothes made for myself.....Do i just accept the price they tell me or do i haggle there too....ARRGGHH.....Help me please.....

Thanks from a super excited and slightly stressed out Jas...... :) :) :)

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
783 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When to haggle and when not too.....???

Souvenir shops on Beach rd is notorious for ripping off tourists. You can haggle basically anywhere but department stores and supermarkets.

England
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When to haggle and when not too.....???

When they give a price try an go to half of what they asked an work your way up with the bartering

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,925 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When to haggle and when not too.....???

In Phuket forget bargaing in shops in Jungceylon or Central Festival [malls] or the 7Elevens. Everywhere is just about fair game!

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
492 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: When to haggle and when not too.....???

Haggle when you feel a price is too high - or higher than you wish to pay. That's the bottom line. If you feel a price is fair and you are willing to pay it, then pay it. If not, then offer a lower price at which you would sincerely purchase it. Leave it at that. Easy! Haggle only when you feel/know the shopkeeper has the authority to lower the asking price.

Melb, Australia
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: When to haggle and when not too.....???

Thank you for your replies....

I knew of course that I couldn't barter in 7/11 and Malls....I was more asking about with Tailors and i want to get leather boots made also.... :)

9 hrs to go before we fly out.......YAY!!! Jas... :-D

australia
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When to haggle and when not too.....???

Jas also haggle at expo if you go there. I wasn't sure because of my inexperience and some things had prices, so stupid me paid over $30 for three headbands. I later asked our driver and he said you can haggle in expo. The shop keeper must have loved me...lol

Auckland NZ
Level Contributor
87 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When to haggle and when not too.....???

Only problem with haggling with something you want made is that they could make the item with cheaper quality materials.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,121 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: When to haggle and when not too.....???

Jassyjewels, you can't barter anywhere. To barter means to "swop". I think you mean bargain or haggle.

Bargain anywhere prices are not fixed. Yes you can certainly bargain at tailors.

Melb, Australia
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: When to haggle and when not too.....???

Thanks Evomal....Can i just ask a stupid question...What and where is Expo...??? (im sure ive heard of it, but i have just forgotten...LOL...)

Rufuscat...I do know the difference between bartering and haggling, its just that i have seen others in here use the word barter in the same context as haggle......

Thanks for your help all.....Leaving in 7 hrs...YAY..... Jas.... :-)

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
556 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: When to haggle and when not too.....???

Have a great time Jas.....Also wondering about expo.