We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quaint beachfront in Kata/Karon?

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
284 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Quaint beachfront in Kata/Karon?

Were thinking of staying at the Le Meridian at Relax Bay, but would prefer something a little smaller. I've been looking through the options at sawasdee.com, but am not sure if I've found the ideal accomodations yet. Hoping some of you who have been there or are local can help.

Criteria is as follows;

-Will be in Phuket for 5-6 days in November

-Budget around $150/night or a 2 bedroom option for $300-ish

-Would like beach front(sandy, picturesque beach, not rocky)

-Pool at hotel

-Smaller hotel (not hundreds of rooms) or hotel that offers bungalow type accommodations

-Karon or Kata beach location, prefer walking distance (10 minutes or less) to town area

Mom Tri's looks like it may be a fit, but be a little expensive, unless they have a 2-bedroom option. Ted/Richard or others who know Phuket, any insight you can share?

Thank you!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Quaint beachfront in Kata/Karon?

Hi travelgurl. I don't know whether I can help you with hotels, but I can certainly recommend the Kata area, rather than Karon.

Kata is smaller and more compact than Karon, and as a result, it's easier to access the beach, restaurants, shops etc. We stayed at the Sugar Palm Hotel, which is small, but it may not be the type of accommodation you're looking for. Have a look at the Kata Beach Resort which is right on the beach (near Mom Tri), with a number of good restaurants around. Kata beach is lovely.

We also spent a day on the beach at Nai Harn, a very pretty beach further south. There are two hotels close to the beach, the exclusive Yacht Club (forgot the hotel's name) which nestles into the hill overlooking the beach and the Sabana Resort which also looked very nice. The only drawback about staying here is that if it rains, there isn't much to do, whereas Kata has more amenities within easy walking distance.

Hope this helps somewhat. Let me know if you want more information.

Singapore
Level Contributor
121 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quaint beachfront in Kata/Karon?

Hi WAgirl,

Me and my friend intend to stay at Sugar Palm Resort & Spa. Not sure if it is the same place you stayed in, but please tell me more.

Like how is its location, customer service, food, things to look out for? How close to reality is their descriptions and pictures on their website: http://www.phuket.com/sugarpalm/rooms.htm?

We intend to get a Superior Room. Do they have a jacuzzi btw, and how is their pricing for their spa treaments and massages?

We're staying there first week of June for 5N. No problems about weather as we are from Singapore. We also can't swim to save our lives so we are not worried about decreased swimming opportunities at the beach.

Any help would be immensely appreciated!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Quaint beachfront in Kata/Karon?

Hi Manicirony. We stayed for a week at the Sugar Palm Resort in Kata.

The location is excellent. It's just a short walk through a small paved laneway to the main street, where there are many cafes, ATMs, 7/11 stores etc. In the lane itself there are a number of small boutiques, and a few cafes. The hotel is very close to the beach and some upmarket beach restaurants such as Mom Tri's. There's a taxi (tuk tuk) rank on the corner, as well as a bus station. Buses travel regularly to Phuket town, via Karon.

I had arranged for a hotel car and driver to pick us up from the airport at a very reasonable price. The car was a late model Volvo and very comfortable. Cars and drivers were available for excursions.

Breakfast, which was included in the room rate, was served in an open area facing the pool. It catered for Asian and European tastes. We were very satisfied with the variety and quality of the food, as well as the service.

Adjacent to the breakfast area, also facing the swimming pool, is a small bar area with several computers available for guest use for a small charge.

The hotel has a restaurant where they serve fresh seafood at night.

This hotel is fairly new, and as such, in very good condition. Our room was spacious and well equipped. The bed was big and comfortable. There were coffee/tea making facilities. The rooms were cleaned daily with fresh linen and towels.

There is a small gym which we used. As far as I know, there is no jacuzzi. There is a spa which looked very nice, but we did not use it. The prices appeared to be reasonable. Next to the hotel is a massage place which was very busy in the evening.

We had a superior room in the block adjacent to the hotel - there was a small balcony which overlooked the lane.

Our only criticism was the location of our room. The entrance was off the hotel parking area, to the right of the entrance to the hotel itself.

The photos on the website are accurate and apart from the entrance, we were very happy with the hotel and thought it represented good value for money.

If you can manage to get a de luxe room, so much the better. Some ground floor rooms actually give direct access to the swimming pool. The pool itself is lovely, very clean and inviting.

I hope this assists you and your friend and that you have a very pleasant stay in Phuket.

Singapore
Level Contributor
121 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quaint beachfront in Kata/Karon?

Wow! Your reply is so detailed and has set us at ease. I emailed the hotel last night through AWD (where we booked our hotel tix) and they claim that there is a free jacuzzi. It waits to be seen.

We got the room through Latestays.com, and may consider upgrading if we really find the entrance painfully inconvenient. But living in HDB flats in Singapore : ) we are used to awkwardly designed blocks and lobbies.

Thank you so much once again. Your reply has been really helpful. Good day!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Quaint beachfront in Kata/Karon?

Very pleased to hear that you found my comments useful.

After we went to Phuket, we had a wonderful stay in Singapore, and I had a lot of help from people on this forum. So am glad I could do something in return.

Good news about the jacuzzi. I'm glad the entrance doesn't put you off. It was only because my husband is vision impaired that it was a bit of a problem for us.

I forgot to tell you, there's a very nice restaurant and lovely spa place quite close to the hotel. Turn left onto the main road, walk past some cafes and shops, then turn left into an arcade. The restaurant has an inside and outside dining area and we enjoyed some good meals there. The beauty parlour is just before the restaurant.

Have a wonderful time in Kata.

6. Re: Quaint beachfront in Kata/Karon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 21:17