We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Patong Merlin or Kata Beach Resort

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Topic
Patong Merlin or Kata Beach Resort

Please help!

Hi All,

Hoping you guys can help me with your wealth of knowledge finally coming to a decision re one of these 2 hotels for our trip next year April/May.

The deals we can get through our TA are making both places pretty much the same in price.

The trip will be me and my partner mid to late 20's and my parents this trip also together.

My partner and I have previously stayed at Patong Merlin and Centara Karon and liked the ease of going out for dinner and shopping but also relaxing.

My parents have stayed at Patong Merlin a couple of times and love their happy hours and meeting people etc.

But the Kata Beach Resort is obviously right on the beach, has its own bar and swim up bar and looks great for relaxing.

I can't split the trip between destinations either as I believe there are great deals like pay 5 stay 10 or similar, so splitting trip will make it more expensive.

Has anyone stayed at both places that can advise their opinion of pros and cons and their personal preference to stay at, from occurrences etc? Don't want to be secluded and have to catch tuk tuks whenever we want food or to go have a drink...but also want to relax as well, as we go to Bangkok for 3nights prior as well.

I know these places are very different which is what is making my decisions harder :)

I appreciate any insight people can advise and how great a forum this is.

Thanks

Jason.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
1,567 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Patong Merlin or Kata Beach Resort

Personally I would stick with what you are happy with. I haven't stayed at either but we did inspect kata beach resort the other day. It is pretty jammed in. The balconies would be pretty useless. They were wet when we were there and otherwise would be in full sun. The room was tiny and pretty basic. The bathroom was long and narrow. Sure, it is on the ocean but very cramped. There are lots of restaurants and shopping around so you wouldn't need to catch tuk tuks. It is big and put us off staying there. We have stayed at Merlin beach resort before and loved it.

Linda

Edited: 15 September 2012, 02:17
Mindarie, Australia
Level Contributor
956 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Patong Merlin or Kata Beach Resort

go for the patong merlin it will satisfied everybody

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,374 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Patong Merlin or Kata Beach Resort

agree I would stick with what you are happy with. But then again, thats because i also like the ease of doing things in Patong as well

Michelle

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
5,815 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Patong Merlin or Kata Beach Resort

Hi Jason

better the devil you know I say!! if you were all happy with Patong Merlin before then take the deal there, but make sure that you get the pool view rooms or maybe in the new wing deluxe or pool access rooms, you can have best of both worlds and get the hotel shuttle up to Merlin Beach Resort (their sister resort) and use the facilities there too, they have a lovely little bay (not suitable for swimming it is rocky) but great massage on the beach and a good little Thai restaurant up on the hill, and you can cross the road out front of MBR to Tri Trang beach, lovely sheltered bay with views over Patong

My vote would be PM as you know it and are already happy with it

happy planning

Mossy :-)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Patong Merlin or Kata Beach Resort

Thanks all for your comments.

Mossy,

How does the shuttle and using the facilities at Merlin beach resort work?

We were not aware of this last time.

And can you bill things back to your room at patong Merlin from their bar? And are you able to use their pools etc and if so do you have to take your own towels or are they supplied to patong Merlin guests too?

When we stayed at the Hyatt in Sanur Bali it was great that we could use all facilities and bill to our room from the grand Hyatt.

Thanks again.

Jason.

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Patong Merlin or Kata Beach Resort

Kata Beach Resort is in a great location! There is nothing you will miss from Patong. The beach is cleaner for starters and it is just a bit more of a beach town feel an much less tacky. Also you are RIGHT RIGHT on the beach. And u you can walk 5m in to cheap local Thai restaurants on the beach and not on the beach.

Within 5 min walk, sometimes less there are great restaurants, live music, cheap shopping, boutique shopping, dive shop, bars, atm, money exchangers, massage, nicer day spa, street venders, Two 7-11's etc.

Besides local Thai restaurants and a few more nicer Thai restaurants there is HOrn Grill Steakhouse

Capaninna

Boathouse Wine and Grill

Rekata

Mama's

etc..

Kata Beach is smaller, cleaner and nicer in my opinion. There is no boardwalk so when you are on the beach you see trees, not shops.

The pool is very nice too.

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
335 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Patong Merlin or Kata Beach Resort

I've stayed at both and would defintely go with kbr.

Upgrade to deluxe rooms for great sea views from the second floor. Standard rooms overlook the carpark.

There are plenty of shops and restaraunts within very short strolling distance but less of the beer bar scene then Patong.

Kata beach is one of the best On phuket and kbr has the prime location. Not super deluxe but super comfortable.

Edited: 15 September 2012, 12:24
Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
5,815 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Patong Merlin or Kata Beach Resort

Jason

you book the shuttle at reception and tell them that you are going to spend the day at MBR, there is a shuttle back at 5pm, best to book that in advance too as that one gets booked up,

they are connected being sister resorts and Merlin group, so you are able to use any facilities at either resort, we done it the other way around as we stayed at MBR, you can use the pool and or beach towels from MBR as long as you remember to sign for them and hand them back in, same with food etc and tell them you are from PM and your room number and name,

sometimes the TA can get a split deal for you between the 2 resorts if you wanted to stay at both, they only do this in low season, (or used to not sure if they still do) worth asking about if you are intrested!!

too easy lol

cheers

Mossy :-)

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Patong Merlin or Kata Beach Resort

I would go for Kata Beach Resort, on the beach, close to restaurants etc . It depends if you like what Patong is like, some do, others don't.

But Kata is nice, also there is the Karon beach Resort at south end of Karon and also close to restaurants etc and also that is very close to Kata.

A place rarely mentioned on this forum is Marina Resort at south end of Karon, that is nice if you want a more 'tropical style' place to stay, popular with many but does not get mentioned much on this forum.

10. Re: Patong Merlin or Kata Beach Resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2013, 10:17