We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phuket drive to Koh Samui

Level Contributor
144 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Phuket drive to Koh Samui

Hi

Has any1 driven from Phuket thru to Koh samui? We are nearing the end of our beautiful holiday in Phuket & yes already planning the next one but would like to do something different? Any thoughts, suggestions hotels will be very welcomed... :)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phuket drive to Koh Samui

People may have tried but the gulf of Thailand keeps swallowing them up

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phuket drive to Koh Samui

Or you could take the car ferry i suppose

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phuket drive to Koh Samui

Hi

For seriousness yes easy to do from Phuket to koh Samui. We've done it twice is good if you have plenty of time and not rushing. Drive to Surat Thani on to Donsak pier get on the car ferry for crossing to koh Samui take 11/2 hrs the ferry depart every hour from 06.00 - 19.00 hrs

www.rafaferryport.com/

www.seatranferry.com/

Cheers,

Edited: 28 September 2012, 07:10
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phuket drive to Koh Samui

Yes, drive by own car it's fun and it will be easy to visit other places that it hardly to get there by public bus. you will have fun to exploring around Samui,Don't forget to visit Na muang waterfall when you get there. (:

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
8,096 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Phuket drive to Koh Samui

I suggest you take the northern 401 route as the drive on the 44 highway is rather boring. And as already posted, it's not difficult at all.

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,476 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Phuket drive to Koh Samui

Yes, agree that the 401 is much nicer.

To take the 44 one has to ignore all signs 'Surat Thani' and continue for over 30 kilometers on the previous road. This means that most people will automatically follow the 401.

Level Contributor
144 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Phuket drive to Koh Samui

Two4travel I just assumed most people replying and giving me suggestions would obviously know we have to take the ferry as we do also. Keep the suggestions & travel tips coming I'm very keen to hear all.

Level Contributor
144 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Phuket drive to Koh Samui

I just read on another post about taking the train from koh samui to Bangkok I think we might add that in too.

florence, italy
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Phuket drive to Koh Samui

hi,

I will be in Thailand in January and would like to drive from Phuket to Koh Samui as well.

Do you recon that this would be dangerous for 2 ladies alone or not?

Thailand did not strike me as a dangerous country, however I have only been to the most popular places... full of tourists...

Thanks a lot!

Level Contributor
144 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Phuket drive to Koh Samui

Hi

I believe it would be very safe it's not a long drive, plenty of traffic and we completed our trip in June of this and loved every min of it. We hired the car from budget in Patong drove to don sak pier ferried to koh Samui spent 3 glorious days there left car there in Samui budget then ferried back to don sak bused to suranthani where we caught the over night train to bangkok.

:-)