We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

phuket or khao lak to similian islands??

glasgow
Level Contributor
94 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
phuket or khao lak to similian islands??

Hi guys, after extensive TA reading i now have the following question. We have 3 nights in Phuket or surrounding areas in Jan before flying back to bangkok and want to include a one day diving trip to the Similian Islands.. Is it best to do this from K Lak or Phuket?? I dont know if i have read incorrect but ive gathered if we book dive trip from phuket we need to drive to the pier anyway at K Lak to get the dive boat?? Also some people have mentioned getting speedboats which are faster than diving boats??.. im a little confused as i thought you booked with your dive operator and got on their dive boat to and from the diving spot not needing a speedboat.. any clarification and help would be much appreciated.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,636 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: phuket or khao lak to similian islands??

I would believe u go to KL and then take a speedboat to the similans where the slower dive boat is anchored

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,523 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: phuket or khao lak to similian islands??

All the Similian trips leave from Khao Lak, plenty of day trips & dive tours available.

Khao Lak is around 1.5 hour trip from Phuket airport, I'd head up to Khao Lak for a couple of nights, great place to stay and plenty of good deals on the street. Check the Khao Lak link here on TA.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: phuket or khao lak to similian islands??

You can stay at Khao Lak ,if you like and they will take you to Tab Lamu pier and speedboat to Similan islands, Or from Phuket and take Bus / minivan to Tab Lamu pier and then hire speedboat > but you need to book in advance for speedboat can go to similan only one a day. Perhap you might book with travel agent like package tour for a good choice.

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: phuket or khao lak to similian islands??

Both Phuket or Khao Lak work fine. All trips there depart from Tap Lamu, the pier just to the south of Khao Lak. If departing from Phuket take a 1,5-2 hour transfer into account, which is included in the trips.

The trips to Similans are generally done by speedboat, but there are also a few fast non speedboat trips available.

If staying in Khao Lak, yes, do a Similans daytrip, or even better go to Richelieu Rock for a divetrip. If staying on Phuket, I personally would prefer to dive from Phuket itselfg, where you can find some excellent diveoptions with 3 dives (instead of 2 at Similans) for about 1/2 the price of a Similans daytrip.

5. Re: phuket or khao lak to similian islands??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 23:18