We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM Question Euro cash passport.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
421 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
ATM Question Euro cash passport.

I have looked in the FAQ and could not find an answer so any information would be greatful.

I loaded a cash passport for my daughters school trip to Europe with EURO'S and she has returned with funds still on this card.

Now my husband and I are off to Patong in a few weeks and we will use the card in Patong.

Will the card convert the euros into Baht or are there any atms that dispence euros in Patong.

We just normally take cash with us but thought we might as well use the funds on the card first.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Nellie

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
2,091 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ATM Question Euro cash passport.

Hi Nellie,

As far as i am aware the Funds on the cash passport will convert to the denomination of the country you are in. We used to have a cash passport and loaded it with Aussie dollars and have used it an many different countries. It simply converts to the local currency.

Cheers, Pete

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
421 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ATM Question Euro cash passport.

Thanks Pete,

We are a cash kind of family and I only got the card for a bit if safety for her incase she lost her cash.

Thank you

Nellie

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,839 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ATM Question Euro cash passport.

If you use the cash passport in Thai ATM machines, these probably will treat it as a foreign debit or credit card and will impose a 150 baht (almost 4 euro) surcharge. I.e. you should not make small withdrawals.

I have never used this type of card - does it work in payment terminals not supporting chip and PIN? Most ATMs and shops in Thailand depend only on the magnetic stripe, if they accept cards at all.

4. Re: ATM Question Euro cash passport.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 20:17