We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchanging Money

Kent
Level Contributor
28 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Exchanging Money

Hi everyone

Coming to phuket in 11 weeks and 6 days to be exact - cant bloody wait!!!!!

Our local travel agent advised to change our money up before we go and that we cant take travellers cheques - is this correct? doesnt sound quite right to me but then i have also just read on the FAQ's that you can change up when we get there.

Can you advise me on whats best to do and where best to exchange when we get there if we are jsut bringin gour cash with us.

Thanks in advance :-)

Darkan, Australia
Level Contributor
655 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exchanging Money

No don't change your money before you go, the exchange rate will be terrible.

Yes you can take travellers cheques, you just need your passport with you to cash them.

There are lots of banks & money changers all over Phuket and most are good to use. You will get a better rate with them than your hotel.

Cash is good or TC or a good card that has minimal fees.

Hope this helps.

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
410 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exchanging Money

Spot on Fivstar, think you need a new travel agent :)

Cathy

Darkan, Australia
Level Contributor
655 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exchanging Money

Was thinking the same thing. Fancy saying you could not take T/C. Maybe the travel agent needs to get out more.

Kent
Level Contributor
28 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exchanging Money

well i did wonder. thanks for your advice

Phuket
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
3,513 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exchanging Money

Yep, the TA must have been dozing during that part of the training.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exchanging Money

A.t m

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Exchanging Money

Yes there are charges but saves the inconvenience . of carrying wads of cash. I know a lot of people disagree on this often asked question

Manila
Level Contributor
89 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Exchanging Money

You can always go to banks to do currency exchange. Do not do it in the airport as the rates are terrible. If you need a little cash then go ahead exchange a little in the airport where dozens of Forex counters are available. But just to give you an idea, 1 USD in the airport can be exchanged for 28.3 Baht but if you go to a bank you can get around 30.5 Baht. Also, go to a place where there are adjacent banks as they tend to compete with higer exchange rates.

Queensland
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Exchanging Money

We changed a small amount at the airport and the rest on the streets. Very easy.

shoreham-by-sea
Level Contributor
201 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Exchanging Money

I wonder how travel agents stay in their jobs sometimes.

We always take TC. May seem old fashioned but they are by far the cheapest way to change money. We get £200 denomination cheques from Lloyds (I bank with them so no commission). It costs 33baht (about 70p) to exchange each cheque in Thailand.

Thai banks charge you 150baht (£3) per ATM withdrawal from their banks and then your UK bank will charge you as well. It's a no brainer.

Exchange places are everywhere and all banks change tc and of course they are safe to travel with as if they are replaceable if lost or stolen!