We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phuket, Karon or Kata

Newcastle
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Phuket, Karon or Kata

Hi just wondering which would be the best place to stay in April? Phuket, Karon or Kata beach??? 2 adults travelling. 4-5 star wanted..... Any resorts that are fantastic s to stay in these areas???

Queensland...
Level Contributor
725 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phuket, Karon or Kata

Wow, you will start a war asking that question LOL. Everyone has their own personal opinion. My preference is Karon - I love it and have spent three holidays there. I've spent one holiday in Kata and didn't find that I liked it - for numerous reasons. My parents are currently in Rawai at the Mangosteen Resort and giving it rave reviews.

We love The Old Phuket in Karon - the rooms in the Serene wing especially the direct pool access are gorgeous. The Jacuzzi Room in the Sino wing can also be highly recommended. Karon has a great selection of restuarants - Bai Toey, No Name, Red Onion just to name a few.

In Patong relatives of ours stay at the Phuket Merlin and love it.

You have plenty of options - I would suggest that you pick your area and then narrow down your hotels. Enjoy !

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach, Karon
Level Contributor
3,929 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phuket, Karon or Kata

On the other hand I prefer the Kata area. :-) For 4 to 5 star establishments check out Mom Tris Villa Royale (between Kata and Kata Noi beaches) and The Boathouse hotels.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,970 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phuket, Karon or Kata

Karon and Kata are beaches on the island of Phuket, did you mean Patong (the busy beach)?

Kata is lovely, like a village with the Boathouse right on the beach, Patong is party central with lots of hotels, whilst Karon is a long beach with some nice hotels.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phuket, Karon or Kata

Try a couple of locations, how long are you there for?

Newcastle
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phuket, Karon or Kata

Hi we are there for 8 nights? I am really confused as my partner has never been and I have so I am happy to be away from busy Patong but I know we will want to go there for eating/shopping?? I also dont want to be at a resort if it is too far away from everything??? Thanks for any advice...

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,126 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Phuket, Karon or Kata

As per #3, I am not sure I understand your post either. You do realise that Phuket is an island and that Kata and Karon are on Phuket? Did you mean "Patong, Karon or Kata?" perchance, or did you mean "Phuket - Kata or Karon?"

Holstebro, Denmark
Level Contributor
94 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Phuket, Karon or Kata

I think you should go for the hotel that you want - whether on Kata or Karon is probably not that important. We have never stayed in Karon but have returned to Kata several times because we like the quiet athmosphere and the beautiful beach - yet being close to restaurants and shopping, allthough not in the scale of Karon and very far from the hectic life of Patong. And you should also consider that April is the beginning of the low season and there will probably be red flags on the beaches - which you should respect. But Kata beach is safer than Karon - the sea can be pretty dangerous there. As for hotels in Kata - I agree with those suggesting The Boathouse (which is right on the beach) or Mom Tris's as being the perfect choices, consider Villa Elisabeth as an outsider - the location is outstanding right above and with private access to the beach. You should definately go for the southern part of Kata, as Club Med is blocking direct access to half the beach from the Northern end.

Whatever you choose - I am sure you are going to have a great time.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,385 posts
1,663 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Phuket, Karon or Kata

I liked Karon, not as big or busy as Patong and I liked the beach.

If you are going to go to Patong often then you might as well stay there as transport costs will eat up your budget.

London, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Phuket, Karon or Kata

Having stayed in all three, Kata without a doubt. Unless you want a busy nightlife then Patong.

Newcastle
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Phuket, Karon or Kata

Sorry did mean patong not phuket?