We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

catch 22

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
107 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
catch 22

Hi people we are going to book our holiday for the 24/06/2013 depart 10/07/2013 now we can get the accommodation at grace lands for the four of us $2600 aud . Staying in a family suite. Airfares with malaysian are $1100 return each or Thai $1400 return each. Now the question is do we book airfares now or fingers crossed they come down in price. We would prefer to fly thai . Any suggestions as this dates are locked in.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,391 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: catch 22

It is a gamble.

It depends on demand. Prices go up and down depending on how much is being booked.

If we see a good price we book it.

We booked for our Feb / March trip in June, and up to a couple of days ago the price had not gone down, now the flight we booked with Malasyian has just gone £150 cheaper per person . . . which is a fair few AU$!! But oh well! Had we not of booked then the prices would not have gone down, sure as eggs are eggs!

We have just booked up for October 2013 and got a price with Singapore Airlines that has already gone up £30 each.

for us, coming from the UK, having a flight on the day / times we want with as few a stops enroute as possible, so you just have to go for it and hope.

I would go with the Malaysian flghts, as they seem to be having a special on at the moment, and then you only have the Thai price . . . .

Happy travels!

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,391 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: catch 22

PS have you looked at Air Asia via Kuala Lumpur?

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,900 posts
416 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: catch 22

$1200 is a big saving if you book the Malaysia Airlines flights, we are also tempted to book Malaysia Airlines but trying to hang out & wait for Singapore Airlines prices to drop a bit.

Cathy

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
107 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: catch 22

Thanks everyone for quick replies! Have been to Phuket twice and flew with Thai airways and flights have never been that expensive. Looks like Malaysia might be the go. Extra $1200 spending money sounds perfect to me haha.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,654 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: catch 22

Singapore usually have the best connection times. Some of the others there is 4/5 hours hanging around the airport.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,524 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: catch 22

4/5 hours hanging around in the airport or saving upto $1200? I think I know which I would go for! :-)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
402 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: catch 22

we got singapore for $1094 p/p in march

Australia
Level Contributor
262 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: catch 22

We booked for July 29, melb/sing/phuket/Mel for 4 people $1500 total on Asia Asia, it seems like a lot of money you're spending! Have you had a look at other airlines?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
107 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: catch 22

Wow that's a great price when did you get it. Did you book direct with airasia?

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,654 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: catch 22

Hi Heidiandmike,

I presume you meant melb/kl,phuket/melb, as Air Asia only goes to KL from Australia?