We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tailors in Phuket

england
Level Contributor
40 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Tailors in Phuket

Hi we are going to the BEST HOUSE PATAK ROAD PHUKET next March and i was wondering if anyone could recommend a good tailor that was within walking distence ane what i should expext to pay for a 3 piece suit Thank you in anticipation

england
Level Contributor
40 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tailors in Phuket

March is almost here can anyone recommend a good tailor near our hotel??

London, England
Level Contributor
379 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tailors in Phuket

Last night in the Silom area of Bangkok we passed a "tailor" offering 2 suits + 2 shirts + 2 ties for €99, around £80. This will be utter rubbish and the words caveat emptor spring to mind. You are entering a minefield here - just put the word tailor into the search field and you should be dissuaded. Also, no one knows what standards you expect. When you are walking the streets of Phuket, I am sure a friendly chap outside a tailor will try to shake your hand: grasp it at your peril...

australia
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tailors in Phuket

Tailor shops are just fronts most tailor shops use the same "tailor" to make their suits, was told this by Kento at a tailor shop in otop, so for 100 tailor shops theres probably a dozen sweat shops servicing them all, so to know the quality you have to find the best sweat shop.

its hit & miss really i ve had a great suit made by a little shop at the beginning af bangla rd non beach end on the left walking towards beach its a small place next to the 7/11 and a disastrous suit made at the tailors inside Patong Merlin, so hit n miss

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
9,100 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tailors in Phuket

My advice would be unless you get a good reccomendation from a friend that you trust, that it is best to avoid tailors shops in Thailand, as has already been mentioned most of the 'tailored' suits are actually factory made in sweat shops with all corners cut to make them cheap.

All in all the balance of probabilities is that you are more likely to have a bad experience with a Thai tailors shop than a good one, These forums are full of tales of woe from supposed good tailors.

if you find a good genuine bespoke tailors you will find the price is little different from a small tailors shop at in England.

england
Level Contributor
40 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tailors in Phuket

maybe not such a good idea thanks for youre helpful replies its just that ive been told by many people thailand is best place for made to measure suit

Phuket
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
3,664 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tailors in Phuket

Theres good and bad, don't be put off if you have been recommended to one. I live in a street with a sweat shop, they are always busy and there work looks very very good. They service a few shops as Hawk alludes to, but in Patong there are a lot more than 10 sweatshops around.

The really cheap suits are made of cheap fabric, and no matter how well it is made, its gonna look like a cheap suit.

Canberra, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
310 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tailors in Phuket

I had a Wool/Cashmere suit made by Instyle Tailors in Patong. That was in 2010 and it still looks good. It was well made, and stitched, not glued like so many cheap ones are.

However, it wasn't super cheap. From memory it was 8000baht, although that was still a good deal compared to the cost at home in Australia.

Queensland
Level Contributor
29 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tailors in Phuket

We had some reasonable shirts made by Style Fashon on Rat-U -thit road near Bushrangers Bar and Grill back in 2007 and some of them are still going strong......However......

They took longer so we had to "fib" about our departure date as they were not on time. We ended up getting them the day before we left and just so happened to be walking past the shop again (we were staying at the Montana Not So Grand - Gave them a "glowing" review and all I can say is that it was cheap). Anyway when the Indian guys saw us they said "Hey - you lie you no go home", We responded "You lied first, you said two days and you took four" (Note for fellow TA travellers - Master the 'Witty comeback/one liners" with the Indian Tailors and you will have a lot of fun)

Just be careful though, I had a bit of a flop with one shirt that I requested in "Crease Free" material, You bet. It creased freely and the creases were for "free". Probably a communication issue, but otherwise the other garmets were ok.

Edited: 11 February 2013, 05:52
central coast nsw
Level Contributor
522 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tailors in Phuket

Below is a post Ive been putting on since Mar 2011 re Tailor in Patong. They are opposite Holiday Inn.

Had a suit made last month @ Mode Collection after doing a fair bit of research here on TA. Quality & Fit are excellent and price was better than expected. Also had 3 shirts made to measure & they were around 1/2 the price of what you'd pay for brand names in Sydney when on special. Suit was 4500 Bht ($A 150) & shirts averaged 830 Bht each (just over $A27.50) - 1 was slightly dearer as it has 2 different fabrics. I have contact details if interested.

england
Level Contributor
40 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tailors in Phuket

contact details would be very helpful no idea how patong is from where we are staying tho thanks alot