We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Thailand. Is this wish list possible?

Ocean Grove...
Level Contributor
369 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Thailand. Is this wish list possible?

Hi all experts I'm after some help to get me started on the right track before I start looking at hotels.

We LOVE Fiji but are looking for something different next time for our 3 children (12, 9 and 4).

We are travelling from Melbourne so dont want another flight from Phuket to reach our destination. So somewhere within driving distance is ideal.

I know Thailand is a lot busier than Fiji (we love the outer islands) but I am hoping for somewhere quieter as we dont need shopping and hustle and bustle.

These are the things we would love.

Beautful calm beach for swimming/snorkelling. White sand clear blue water (this is an absolute must for us).

Quiet area/smaller hotel

Beautiful natural scenery.

Family friendly

Medium budget (we are fairly flexible)

Lovely clean pools

Local culture

Day trips

If anyone can help with an area or area that we should start looking. I gather the northern beaches would be better for us??

Thank you in advance I apreciate anyone's help.

Kat

Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,817 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Thailand. Is this wish list possible?

<quote> Beautiful calm beach for swimming/snorkelling. White sand clear blue water (this is an absolute must for us).<quote>

You don't mention what month you will be traveling. Pick the wrong month and Phuket and the surrounding areas can experience quite rough seas.

That aside, consider Krabi and/or Khao Lak. Both only about 2hrs drive from Phuket and should suit you well.

Ocean Grove...
Level Contributor
369 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Thailand. Is this wish list possible?

Thank you BobnJanette I will have a look at those areas.

We have not booked any flights yet and are completely open to any time of year. Can you suggest the best time for calm seas? I would hate to think we came at a time when the seas were rough.

Kat

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Thailand. Is this wish list possible?

Hi ..Neither Khao lak or Krabi . Have White sand . Or really blue water.And neither spot has snorkelling from there shores .Other than Railey beach near Krabi,and ao nang. Phuket area is best visited in the " dry ' months . December to april. Phuket itself has many fine beaches With calm blue water (In dry season). But most beach areas on Phuket are busy that time of year. Khao lak is quiet with a decent beach . I would recommend the Trang islands South of Krabi, Or maybe Ko phi phi. BUT ! Last year we visited the Philippines . The coral reefs , white sand , And blue water. Were far superior to most parts of Southern Thailand. Don't get me wrong .Thailand is still my favourite destination. I'm just saying . Look at Places like Boracay ,Bohol, Palawan,

Ocean Grove...
Level Contributor
369 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Thailand. Is this wish list possible?

Thank you two4travel_10.

I have looked at the philippines actually but for this stage in our lives we need something easier to travel too. I have young children and a fairly reluctant hubbie!

So the Trang islands are not ideal because of the extra travel. We already have 2 flights from Melborne as it is to get to Phuket.

I think we would be best to travel in the cooler months as the heat will be a big enough shock as it is.

2 hours is maximum we would want to travel from the airport. Khao lak sounds OK but I absolutely must have a beautful beach. My standards are pretty high coming from Australia.

A quieter area is also a must if possible!

Yes I am fussy ha ha

Kat

Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,817 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Thailand. Is this wish list possible?

Kat, our favourite destination in the Phuket region is Krabi. It seems to fit what you are looking for.

Good accommodation, excellent food and lots of day trips available that will get you to excellent islands, beaches and snorkelling destinations.

We tend to travel on the shoulder seasons to get good prices and less crowds. Feb trough till April are great and if over Songkrun the kids would have a blast. Once we went late October/early November and the weather was fantastic.

Another option might be to consider the East Coast. Koh Phangan has some very pristine beaches. Google.... Thong Nai Pan Noi - Koh Phangan

Edited: 23 December 2012, 01:22
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,372 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Thailand. Is this wish list possible?

As said above an important coinsideration to advise you is when do you intend to travel?

I agree Kkao Lak may be good, only about an hour drive from Phuket airport.

Also looks at beaches south of Kata, Kata Noi, Nai Harn, was absolutely beautiful, when we were there in October.

Michelle

7. Re: First time to Thailand. Is this wish list possible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2013, 10:17