We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling with a baby - Snorkeling advice

Sydney, Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
Traveling with a baby - Snorkeling advice

We're planning a trip to Phuket in April - myself, husband 6 yr old and 6 month old baby. We will be staying 7 nights at Merlin Beach Resort (Karon Beach) and 3 nights on Phi Phi (Outrigger). We (the adults) are quite keen snorkellers and want to know what our options are for snorkeling in Phuket.

From my research, it seems like all the best snorkeling (coral gardens, colourful fish) is to be found on the small islands off Phuket (Koh Khai, Coral Island etc). We'd love to visit these places when we're there, but all the tours are by speedboat, so we can't take the baby.

Is there anywhere in Phuket that we can access by ferry, where we can do some snorkeling off the shore (so we can take turns snorkeling while the other looks after the kids) ?

Also, from my research of Phi Phi, it seems that again all the decent snorkeling requires a boat trip. Will we be able to do some decent snorkeling on Phi Phi without needing to take a boat trip?

Thoughts and suggestiongs are welcome. Also, we haven't necessarily locked in Karon/Phi Phi - so if there's another Thailand location that may give us what we need, please let me know!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling with a baby - Snorkeling advice

Long beach on Ko Phi Phi has some good snorkelling . Karon area has some fish , but not much for coral . Ko Racha 30 minutes by boat ,from Phuket ,has accommodation options for every budget . 3 or 4 nice white beaches and good snorkelling from shore . We love the island ,and go every time in Thailand. Ban Raya resort is very family friendly , with private beach and excellent snorkelling. We always stay at Bungalows Raya Resort. Great restaurant and views,from the bungalows. You are right at most destinations in southern Thailand .,decent sites require boats rides. Check out Ko Racha for 3 or 4 days .

Sydney, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling with a baby - Snorkeling advice

Ko Racha looks like it's exactly what we're after, but it seems that the boat transfers are via speedboat, so we wouldn't be able to take the baby. Do you know if you can reach Ko Racha via ferry, or larger boat?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,390 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling with a baby - Snorkeling advice

Hi, only speedboats are available to Racha.

If I were in your position, I would look at hiring a babysitter or nanny during the time of your proposed snorkelling trip. These trips are NOT suitable for a baby or toddler, nor are they designed for that purpose.

My guess is that you and your husband will find it very difficult to relax and enjoy your time while you are constantly consumed with the safety of your 6 m.o out on the seas! Up to you. Just my 5 satang worth.

There was a similar question posed the other day. My response to these matters remain consistent. tripadvisor.com/…

Cheers.

Edited: 26 December 2012, 22:24
4. Re: Traveling with a baby - Snorkeling advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 December 2013, 10:17