We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Women / men being covered up in public areas

Bradford, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Women / men being covered up in public areas

Hi, what's it like in Thailand/around Phuket krabi phi phi etc i heared you can't walk around in bikini shorts skirts etc and have to be covered up? Please let me know as my fiancé has brought lots of bikinis and skirts dresses etc for our holiday in feb. thanks

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach, Karon
Level Contributor
3,983 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Women / men being covered up in public areas

Hi Brit

No need to worry. Everybody walks around hear in beachwear. Bikinis and short skirts etc are the norm. Some women tan topless, although the Thais do frown upon this.

Have fun!

Bradford, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Women / men being covered up in public areas

Oh right is their a nude section to the beach or in general? We are 32 sensible couple, did hear a few people saying espeshaly around temples shops etc do wear a throw over like sarong or something as the Thais frown and can end up nasty..

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
Level Contributor
7,523 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Women / men being covered up in public areas

No, Thais are nice people!!!

Even if tourist walk into temples with just short or other not adequate attire, often they will not complain and I never saw any nasty behavior in such a case,

BUT: I personally find it inacceptable nasty behavior of tourist not accepting the basic requirement for proper attire in temples. I think as a tourist and guest of the country, you should be extra careful and respect their religion and related procedures/requirements.

I understand why you are asking and that is the best way!

On the streets of Phuket, there are not so many regulations and worries about how to dress. Naked is not a good idea maybe. :)

Italy
Level Contributor
39,487 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Women / men being covered up in public areas

Definitely no nude bathing but beachwear like bikinis, short skirts etc won't be a problem.