We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help required for seniors please!

England
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
159 reviews
Save Topic
Help required for seniors please!

Hi

We are a couple of young-at-heart seniors in our early 70s. We have been to Bangkok but are considering the possibility of a beachside holiday in Thailand. Just a few questions -

1) What would be the best time of the year to go bearing in mind that my husband doesn't like weather that is too humid?

2) We enjoy touring and often hire a car, so would that be a possibility or are there plenty of organised tours for, say, one day or a few days?

3) Is there plenty of entertainment in the evening? We enjoy a walk around the night markets and a drink or two, but nothing too loud or 'in your face'. Do hotels have evening entertainment?

4) Which resort would be best for us do you think - Phuket, Krabi or somewhere else?

All advice, tips and opinions will be really very much appreciated.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,655 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help required for seniors please!

Hope this helps.

1. We like to go in June as it is the low season and is not as expensive. Weather is warm but not boiling.

2.There are plenty of organised tours. If you want to drive you have to have an international license. There are tours for one or more days.

3. Plenty of entertainment in the evenings. Many hotels have their own entertainment.

4. Have a look on google for hotels. Try Patong,Karon Kata and Krabi.

We really like Patong.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
1,562 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help required for seniors please!

Hi

I wouldn't hire a car over there. The roads are crazy. There are plenty of organised tours that you can go on. That is in Phuket. There are different areas. Patong is really crazy but you can walk around and have a look and then enjoy the quiet of your hotel. There are other more chilled areas like Karon and Kata. The prices depend on what time of year you go. It is monsoon season from May until the end of Oct so the hotels are half price. The weather can be glorious with just the odd shower or it can rain practically non stop for 4 days. That has happened to me twice. But in saying that, Christmas is peak time and top dollar and I think it rained a bit then last year. You just have to work out which area you would like to go to. I think Kata would suit you.

Linda

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
492 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help required for seniors please!

If you are a careful and cautious driver, renting a car can be quite an enjoyable activity. Make sure the car is properly insured (there are other thread her on the issue), don't build up speed - keep things nice and slow and avoid driving too far out of town at night (poorly lit roads, unlit vehicles etc).

Roads are reasonbly well marked in English and Thai and particulary on Phuket you really can't get totally lost as everything leads back to the few main roads.

In the day time - driving the coastline is a great drive - drive up to Khao Lak for even better beaches and views.

England
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help required for seniors please!

Thank you so much for your comments everyone, very helpful and gives me a start on doing a bit more homework. Its so difficult when we've never been there and don't know which areas will suit our age group. For instance, we saw a news report relating to a holiday resort in Thailand on the TV news last night and couldn't see anyone over the age of around 30; those were the days and although we are young at heart, we don't want to be the only 'wrinklies' there either! :-)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
433 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help required for seniors please!

I would recommend the holiday inn in patong. Great hotel central to everything across the road from the beach and the Otop markets behind. Great for shopping and plenty of bars for that much needed drink. Hubby is wheelchair bound and its easy for him. I would recommend hiring a driver for the first time to do a day tour. You can get the feel for the place and decide if you are comfortable enough to self drive. Drivers are listed on this site and you can usually get one for under 900 baht for the day. There are also plenty of tours you can book. Tour operators on every corner. Check on here for the best ones. Entertainment at night is everywhere, take your pick. I hope you enjoy your time in LOS

Cb

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help required for seniors please!

You have plenty of choices in Thailand, depends a lot how you enjoy spending your days and evenings, from February to September Gulf Coast areas are pleasant weather. Koh Samui for tropical island style.

Hua Hin and the coast for a more natural Thailand, night markets, nature, national parks wildlife, culture and historical sights, temples etc, great restaurants , enought nightlife for most who want to go out in the evenings, sightseeing trips. Weather is fine all year round except for later in October and early November.

Edited: 03 January 2013, 16:40
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help required for seniors please!

Khao Lak is very nice between November and April, lovely beaches, just north from Phuket

Cork
Level Contributor
351 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help required for seniors please!

We are seniors in our mid sixties...like you planning a trip in February....

can you recommend a central hotel in Bangkok for 3 nights!!

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
492 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Help required for seniors please!

cb7646 makes a good point. Drivers with cars are quite inexpenisve and sometimes, even cheaper than renting your own car. So - try the driver first. Often they have a lot of good information share about the area or even have them read billboard signs to you.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,860 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help required for seniors please!

For Natcork,

http://www.residence-hotel.com/

This hotel is really central and good value, there is a free golf cart to Siam Paragon at end of the street, and it is walking distance to Baiyoke Sky tower, Central world and MBK, or a very short taxi ride. Stayed here last year and the rooms were under renovation and should well be finished now, very clean hotel with friendly staff. There is no swimming pool but who has time when in Bangkok for short time, too much to see and do.

Also http://www.wetourthailand.com/ do great tours, we use them all the time.

Check out

cathyandgarystravelpages.com/bangkok.htm

for more fantastic info on Bangkok.

Sue