We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do it Yourself - PHI PHI in a Day - (JBR - part 1)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
623 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Do it Yourself - PHI PHI in a Day - (JBR - part 1)

We had done the speed boat trip to Phi Phi on our last visit.

Coming from coastal northern Australia, we found sitting on the beach/swimming for 2 hours at Bamboo Island no novelty and not much of an attraction for us (For others, I am sure it is).

This time we decided to make our own way. The idea was to catch a ferry from Phuket to Phi Phi, then hire a longtail boat up to Laemtong Beach for Christmas lunch at Jasmin Restaurant.

We chose Andaman Wavemaster Royal Jet Cruiser and splurged $68 AUD return each for Premium Class seats including pick-up and return to our hotel. We booked on-line.

As soon as we arrived at the pier we were lead away by one of the staff, like VIP’s, on to the boat and up to the “Premium Class” deck.

Premium Class was the whole top deck of the modern boat. We were lead into the room and couldn’t believe the opulence for a “ferry”, air-conditioned and furnished with oh-so-comfortable leather lounges, other cushioned seating along the sides, coffee tables, wide screen TV, glass walls, its own toilet/washroom and a small café where a delightful Thai lady served free coffee, tea, cakes and snacks all the way and “extras” such as bringing around iced pineapple slices. Beer could be bought. The whole roof top was a private sun deck.

Being on the top of the boat we had the best uninterrupted view all the way over to Tonsai Pier.

On the way to Tonsai we were approached by Sawat, a young man who works as a tour guide on the boat. We explained our idea for the day still not sure if it was feasible or harebrained.

No trouble. For $15 AUD each, Sawat organised the longtail boat and stopped with us all day. The longtail cost 1200 Bht. May be a bit high but we got “more”.

When we arrived off Tonsai, Sawat lead us down like Rockstars (well, aging rockstars) to the stern of the boat. Within seconds our longtail appeared, we stepped on board and were on our way while the ferry still had to turn around and dock to let the “ordinary” folk (sorry) off.

We could have gone snorkeling but we had done that with the speed boat and having seen the Great Barrier Reef at home we were not impressed enough to want to do snorkeling again. We had passed Maya Bay on the ferry and had seen the almost unbroken line of boats and people on the beach. We had been before and so gave that a miss, too. Sawat was happy to take us to either if we had wanted to. One of our party wanted to see the monkeys so we went to a beach near Monkey Bay for our private viewing.

We headed off around Phi Phi Ley and then right up the eastern side of Phi Phi Don to Laemtong Beach at the top north-eastern corner. I’ll skip the details of the scenery all the way – majestic and magnificent.

Laemtong Beach has no vehicles and no traffic – just a white sandy beach, crystal clear water and magnificent scenery. There are 3 resorts there, set close together. Between them is Jasmin Restaurant.

Jasmin Restaurant is a small old “quaint” wooden structure built on the sand. The furniture is made from driftwood and the tables and seats are right on the sand, steps from the water’s edge. It must be close to Paradise.

Lunch was served very quickly – the most delicious Thai dishes or you could choose barbequed fish caught that day. The drinks were icy cold. Lunch for 4 including 2 beers and 2 cokes cost a total of 1,260 Bht (!). I told the owner it was the best Christmas lunch I had ever had.

After lunch, Sawat took us for a walk around the resorts and across to the other side of the island. We saw the height the tsunami had reached and where they desalinate sea water for their use. We decided then and there that one day we would spend at least a few days at Phi Phi Natural Resort.

It was then back on to the longtail. We went around the top of Phi Phi Don and right down the western side to Loh Dalum Bay. We had sailed around the whole of Phi Phi Don and Phi Phi Ley. We went ashore, walked though the markets to Tonsai Bay and had 45 minutes to sit in the shade and have a cool drink before re-joining our air-conditioned cabin on the ferry.

Highly recommended if you want something a little bit more adventurous and want a say in where you would like to go.

Tragic

Mentioned in this post
Phi Phi Hotel
Phi Phi Hotel
940 Reviews
Ko Phi Phi Don, Thailand
Bamboo Island
Bamboo Island
2,894 Reviews
Ko Phi Phi Don, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Maya Bay
Maya Bay
8,206 Reviews
Ko Phi Phi Don, Thailand
Phi Phi Natural Resort
Phi Phi Natural Resort
558 Reviews
Ko Phi Phi Don, Thailand
Maitland, Australia
Level Contributor
610 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do it Yourself - PHI PHI in a Day - (JBR - part 1)

Sounds great. Wish I was there right now. Thanks for sharing.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
623 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do it Yourself - PHI PHI in a Day - (JBR - part 1)

Thanks, Sam.

Wish I was there, too. Only got back this morning and already dreaming of "next time"

Tragic

Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do it Yourself - PHI PHI in a Day - (JBR - part 1)

Thanks, sounds like a great day out.

Maitland, Australia
Level Contributor
610 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do it Yourself - PHI PHI in a Day - (JBR - part 1)

Tragic are you on PAC.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
623 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do it Yourself - PHI PHI in a Day - (JBR - part 1)

Sam

I am probably the last human on earth not on Facebook. I would certainly qualify for the Phuket Addicts Club. Maybe one day when I find the time.

Tragic

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Maitland, Australia
Level Contributor
610 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do it Yourself - PHI PHI in a Day - (JBR - part 1)

Ok I am sure if you were on Facebook you would definately be a member if PAC. Lol. If you love phuket you would be on there. Sam

Phuket
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
3,873 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do it Yourself - PHI PHI in a Day - (JBR - part 1)

Thanks for sharing the info. Good to know that the ferry does a great job.

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach, Karon
Level Contributor
4,022 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do it Yourself - PHI PHI in a Day - (JBR - part 1)

Very well written and great report! Glad that you had a great day :-)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do it Yourself - PHI PHI in a Day - (JBR - part 1)

Hi tragic, thanks so much for The report! It sounds like something my partner and I would be up for! Have recently realized the crossing to phi phi on a speed boat might be too rough for my partners back as he has pre existing back problems..

I was therefore looking at getting a ferry across there for a day trip, but unfortunately the usual ferry only leaves at around 10am, and then leaves phi phi at 230 to come back! Not leaving much time to explore at all!

Would you mind giving me a rough time line for your do it yourself phi phi in a day? And an estimate of cost all together per person?

Thanks!

Hayles

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,966 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do it Yourself - PHI PHI in a Day - (JBR - part 1)

Sounds like a fantastic day out & pretty good prices as well.

Cathy