We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday ideas for young couple?

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Holiday ideas for young couple?

Hi all,

Hubby and I are looking to spend our 2nd wedding anniversary abroad and are keen to visit Phuket. We're looking at doing 10-nights in August and I've started thinking about whether to break it up to 5-night stays in two different locations.

We definitely know we want to do Patong; and at the moment I've been looking at the Merlin Beach Resort, but I'm keen for any alternative suggestions.

Not sure where else to spend the other 5-nights. I was thinking Karon but then not knowing the area, I don't know if it's going to feel like we've just shuffled down the road or if it will feel like another place entirely.

Activity wise - we like the idea of doing a day trip or two out to the islands, and maybe a cooking class, but we also enjoy just lazing around so like the idea of pools, spas, swim-up bars etc.

We prefer not to get stuck in places that are heavily infested with small children (our honeymoon in Fiji felt like we were at a 5-stay daycare centre instead of a resort..)

Budget wise, we'd prefer not to spend more than say $1,500AUD (roughly 45,000THB) on accommodation. As it stands, if we go with the Merlin Beach Resort for 5-nights it's looking at around 20,000-25,000THB.

Just looking for any suggestions, searching through hotels for the Phuket area in general and then trying to narrow down to Patong, Karon, Kata, etc is just a little overwhelming and it's hard to really nail it down.

Cheers :)

Mentioned in this post
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Karon
Karon
Phuket, Thailand
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Gold Coast
Level Contributor
6,194 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday ideas for young couple?

As far as hotels are concerned I would click on hotels at the top of the page and have a look and see what suits you then have a look a T/A comments.

I don't think you will have too many problems with kids, as August is not school holidays in Australia.

On that budget of $150 per night you should get very good accommodation as it is the low season.

Also check out asia rooms and agoda just to see what is available.

Mindarie, Australia
Level Contributor
956 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday ideas for young couple?

try the patong merlin as well during that time to get stay and pay deals and you dont have to get shuttle into patong the merlin beach is nice went out there for day trip but found access to everything in patong was restricted to shuttle times we are heading back in may for our 5th time patong merlin

Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday ideas for young couple?

The kee resort or patong resort hotel are to close to the action. I been a few time agoda and Expedia have always been more exspensive than flight centre. Check prices on the Internet then go to flight centre to compare. The two hotels I mentioned don't seem too have kids there Merlin advertises mainly to family's. stay in patong hire a scooter and ride out to kata/ karon is 15 minutes on a bike

Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday ideas for young couple?

Patong Merlin is the main kids resort in patong dick it even has a creache and two kids pool

Phuket
Level Contributor
611 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holiday ideas for young couple?

You could try a 'Discover Scuba Diving' day trip at one of the local islands , hire a driver for half a day and do some sightseeing around the Island , Phi Phi and Phang-Nga Day trips are pretty spectacular and come highly recommended on this forum .

Have a great trip !

Giles - Offspray Leisure Day trips - Phuket

bundaberg
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Holiday ideas for young couple?

I would suggest marina phuket on Karon beach it's a short ride to patong beach by scooter & definitely good when it comes to large amounts of kids very secluded.. We spent our honeymoon here last march 2012 & are headed here again this April 2013. Hope this helps..

Mentioned in this post
Karon
Karon
Phuket, Thailand
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Holiday ideas for young couple?

I would suggest , maybe going to a smaller island for 3 or 4 days. Ko phi phi, Ko racha, or Ko yao noi.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
270 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Holiday ideas for young couple?

A good hotel, high quality great views nicest beach in my opinion around patong i would highly reccommend stayig at the centara on on karon beach. About 10/15minutes by taxi to bangla rd for your nightlife. But the hotel is lovely and if you get the private pool or sea view youll be amazed!

Phi phi isnt really a nice island for hotels they are very basic mostly and not really a kind youll enjoy for a anniversary. Their are a few but you pay a high premium.

Another is centara grand west sands just up near the airport. I stayed their in jan this yr. Lovely hotel with a water park. Though their isnt alot of kids running around like youd think! Well worth looking at them both.

Racha island i think only has 1 hotel? Very secluded and only really good for a day trip.

Their are many places that are nice. We stayed in patong for 10 nights then went upto krabi ao nang and stayed their for a week. And went back to patong for a few more nights before heading off. Krabi is more quietbut lovely place more romantic and quiet if your a couple than patong.

Try what i did... go onto booking.com and search hotels in patong. Click any hotel and view it on the map. Youll see loads of hotels you can hover over them and see their price. Locstion and where they are inconjucntion to the beach main roads etc.

9. Re: Holiday ideas for young couple?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2014, 06:18