We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phuket vs. Krabi

Ziar nad Hronom...
Level Contributor
41 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Phuket vs. Krabi

Hello there,

I need an advice. We are traveling to Thailand in one month, staying in BKK for 3 days and than moving down to the south on Koh Samui. Then we would like to go further to Phuket or Krabi. And I cant decided if rather stay on Krabi or Phuket.

We are 5 guys around 29-31 years old, looking for fun, chill, party, nice beach for swimming and tanning, nice scenery some trips around the place.

So what are the main advantages and disadvantages of these two places Krabi/ Phuket? Which one we should choose? And where to stay in Krabi or Phuket, what is the "best" spot?

Thanks for any help.

Peter

Rawai Beach, Phuket
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
890 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phuket vs. Krabi

It is my opinion that you guys would probably like Phuket better although I'm not sure.

If ou go to Krabi, make sure you hit Railay Beach. It is very beautiful although nightlife is limited to a few bars. You should be aware that it is almost an island (not really, but there is no roads going there so, boat enter and exit only)

Phuket can be very different depending on where you go. There is a lot of variety. Quiet in the north, busy as can be in Patong and nice but getting crowded in the south (Nai Harn, Kata, Karobn)

The best beaches are on the west side as the water is deeper and cleaner there.

There are a lot of choices for sure.

But, if you are coming for scenery, go to Railay, near Krabi. YOu won't be disappointed.

Ziar nad Hronom...
Level Contributor
41 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phuket vs. Krabi

Thank you for quick response.

I have done some research and I'm starting to like more Krabi. So I just hope there is some nigh life there... I just don't like too overcrowded place, which Phuket seems to be. (or not?) And also little bit overpriced? And maybe the scenery is sometimes more than just party.

So for the Krabi - best place where to stay - Railay Beach and Aonang?

Thanks for help.

Peter

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phuket vs. Krabi

I am having this exact same debate between Phuket and Krabi! I keep changing my mind. Scenery is very important but so is the food, access to other areas (which is why I think Railay would be good for day trips only) and atmosphere at night. My husand and I are 31, love a night out and a beer but doubt we'd be doing that every night but also dont want to be bored.

A previous TA forum suggest spliting our time between both. We have 12 nights so can do so easily but I am not sure of your time.

Then you could experience beauty of Krabi / Railay / nearby Islands but also the nightlife and buzz of Phuket. Ive been told you can get a taxi between the two places quite easily that wouldnt take longer than 2.5hrs.

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phuket vs. Krabi

Pete - There is another thread in Phuket forum asking Phuket vs Ao Nang that might be worth a read. Majority suggesting Ao Nang.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Phuket vs. Krabi

If the emphasis is on a unique Thailand holiday then Railay. If it's on the party side then Phuket. Rock climbing is great in Railay and right there. Railay also has very unique setting. Phuket a more typical beach paradise. Railay is very quiet, however, if you're looking for even a little bar action at night.

L.

Ziar nad Hronom...
Level Contributor
41 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Phuket vs. Krabi

Exactly Coop I see this in the very same way, so I have to find some kind of compromise between "scenery" and "night life". Me and my mates also like night out but we don't want to get drunk every night :-)

We have totally 17 days - the first 3 days we are spending in Bangkok, than moving to Koh Samui/ Koh Phangan for 5 days or so. Maybe quick trip to Cambodia/ Siem Reap before these islands.

So I hope we will enjoy enough night live and buzz here. After that further to Krabi or Phuket.

Still not decided - but I'm closer to Krabi after all those suggestions, reviews and recommendations and we will see... If it wont be good enough for us we just move to Phuket.

For sure I don't want to get bored at the end of this trip.

Ballwin, Missouri
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Phuket vs. Krabi

Peter,

We are having the same problem deciding as you were. We have been to Phuket and stayed in Surin Beach and loved access to the nightlife but enjoyed having our quiet beach. I would love to hear what you ended up doing. Please reply with any advice you have. -Rochelle

Ziar nad Hronom...
Level Contributor
41 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Phuket vs. Krabi

Hi Rochelle,

so we have finally ended up in Krabi - Ao Nang area after Bangkok, Koh Phangan and Koh Saumi. It was amazing. There's also some night life, although not so lively like in Samui or Koh Phangan. But the beaches there are so quite and peaceful and nice. We have totally enjoyed it! We have made some day trips in close area, like Koh Phi Phi, Koh Poda, etc.. We did some snorkeling - great. Can't wait for next year. I'm going again, but this time I'd like to go to Koh Chang, and Cambodia.

Regards,

Peter.

Ballwin, Missouri
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Phuket vs. Krabi

Peter,

Thank you so much for your response. I am glad that you ended up going to Ao Nang area because that seems like it is going to be best fit for us too. We have really fallen in love with Thailand and are looking into having a base in Krabi and taking flights over to Singapore and Bali for our next trip. Any recommendations for activities or companies you recommend would be much appreciated too! -Rochelle

Ziar nad Hronom...
Level Contributor
41 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Phuket vs. Krabi

Hi Rochelle,

sell we have stayed in Baan Po Ngam Resort, Ao Nang. It is a family run bungalow style accommodation. It was bit simple, but it was exactly what we were looking for. The manager is like whatever you need is no problem. Actually he helped us with selection of tours. So we have chosen one with snorkeling around Bamboo island, Koh Phi Phi - that was amazing. We have spent day on beautiful Railay Beach, where you can get easily from Ao Nang on these famous long tail boats. We also did a four island tour - Koh Gai or so called Chicken Island, Koh Tup, Koh Mawr and Poda. The tour also visits Pranang Cave. We have booked a long tail boat just for us in that trip. That was fantastic, coz it was just 5 of us, without another people. And it was that expensive in compere with tour with like 15-25 people. I really do not remember the names of companies, there are plenty of them. We have chosen the best price :-)

Enjoy your trip.

Peter.