We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Phuket

London, United...
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Driving in Phuket

Hi All,

I have been told that it is much better to hire scooters than a car in Phuket. The problem is some of our party are nervous on the roads and are really worried about hiring scooters.

Is the traffic bad along the west coast? Would we struggle to drive into Patong?

Would you advise against getting a car in Phuket?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Chiang Klang...
Level Contributor
902 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in Phuket

A car would be a lot safer than a scooter. Thailand's accident rate is very high and about 70% of all accidents involve scooters/motorbikes. To really enjoy travelling around the island, hire a car with a driver so that you can relax and enjoy the views without worrying about the other idiots on the road.

This link is very well worth reading:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-c133830/Thail…

London, United...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in Phuket

Thanks so much for this information, I definitely think that we'll go with a car, preferably with a driver.

Do you know roughly how much this would cost (we're a group of 6 large people) and where we could arrange something like this?

Chiang Klang...
Level Contributor
902 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in Phuket

There are lots of car rental services and most can supply drivers at a small extra charge. I'd recommend using well known companies for peace of mind. All the big international firms have outlets on Phuket, plus there are reputable local companies like Andaman Cars. You'd need to compare costs, and I'm sure a few emails and bit of googling will get you your answers :) BTW most have passenger vans too.

Edited: 30 January 2013, 08:03
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
445 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in Phuket

Hi,

I and many other T/A reviewers have used Manop and never a problem.

Check http://showmephuket.com/services.htm

Enjoy !

Edited: 30 January 2013, 08:42
Finland
Level Contributor
894 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving in Phuket

If you have even a little experience on riding two wheels & motor, I'd say you'll have no problem. The traffic is not that bad, but you certainly need to pay attention to some other drivers. I have a bike here back home and had no issues, only intersections were tricky at times as they drive on the other side of the road in Thailand. But that won't be an issue for you. When you get there see how you feel about it. If you decide to ride a scooter remember to put sun lotion in your neck and arms. Have fun!

Finland
Level Contributor
894 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving in Phuket

And oh yes, I agree about the article on which rubarabbit posted the link. There are lots of accidents, I have seen some. Bikes and scooters are not for the novice, especially on populated areas where there is lots of traffic. I'd never rent a bike in Bangkok! But still, in Phuket, see it with your own eyes...

New Zealand
Level Contributor
272 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving in Phuket

We are regular visitors to Thailand and much prefer to have a car with a good English speaking driver...there are lots of accidents with bikes and some insurance companies won't cover for them -we have found Chai to be the best in Phuket (perfect English and very reasonable, aiport transfers...the lot ) - email him at this address and he will give you the best price..tell him Judy recommended him and he will give you even better price...lol

mycheapphukettours@gmail.com

Aussie missing...
Level Contributor
4 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving in Phuket

I have a friend in Phuket who is a Tour driver. His name is Chai and you can contact him via Facebook at SRC Phuket Travel. Chai speaks good English and he is quite happy to any tour you wish, even those that are not your regular. He will pick you up from the airport and drop you to your hotel. I can highly recommend Chai to anyone looking for a guide.

9. Re: Driving in Phuket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 31 January 2013, 10:06
10. Re: Driving in Phuket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 31 January 2013, 17:35