We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days in Phuket ...

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
4 days in Phuket ...

Hey all, I am super excited to go to Thailand for the first time in March. I will be in Phuket for 4 days. I want to explore the area and maybe take a trip to one of the nearby islands. Just a few questions:

(1) Does it matter if I stay in Phuket town or Patong, or are they both pretty accessible throughout day and later at night?

(2) Can I do a day trip to Ko Phi Phi or is it better to stay over night?

(3) Any suggestions for a first time visitor for "must sees", "massages" or great restaurants on a budget?

Thanks so much!! Yay Thailand!

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,973 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days in Phuket ...

Hi

Welcome to the Phuket forum! You have a very, very short trip, don't over plan it!

(1) Does it matter if I stay in Phuket town or Patong, or are they both pretty accessible throughout day and later at night?

A] Phuket Town is the town, Patong is busiest of one of the many beach resorts. If you want quiet, more tradditional feel then perhaps look at Phuket Town. Patong is very, very busy, and there are many other places you can stay. Depends on what sort of holiday you are looking for. It is not always easy to get a taxi in Phuket town at night!

(2) Can I do a day trip to Ko Phi Phi or is it better to stay over night?

A] Yes you can do a day trip, it is busy and full on. You get to see the 'must sees' on the islands, but if you want to see more then stay over. It is a long 2hour trip over by ferry or speedboat. This is a personal choice. There is not much when you get there, so unless you just want to relax you may find a day trip is better for you.

(3) Any suggestions for a first time visitor for "must sees", "massages" or great restaurants on a budget?

A] All the answers are already here!! lf you look in the left hand panel of the page and check out the ‘Travel Guide’ / ‘Inside Guides’ and ‘Things To Do’ which list lots of pointers of what to see and where to go as well as other information like restaurants, as well as read recent reviews

<---------------------------

then on the right check out FAQs / top questions about . . . . . .

--------------------------->

If you are accessing via the smart phone app’ you won't see the panel on the left or the FAQs, so suggest that you switch your phone to full site mode or head to a laptop or pc to enjoy the information that has been collected. The Top Questions / FAQs ---> are on the right of all forum pages!

--------------------------->

Also read JBR / just back reports / trip reports etc or search and read some of the questions already posted in this forum. Lots of really useful information about already posted.

So much info' to suit all tastes, budgets and styles!!

Happy planning!

Buderim, Australia
Level Contributor
292 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days in Phuket ...

Have a read of some of the FAQ's on the right of this page and the links below:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293920-s407/Phuket:T…

tripadvisor.com/…25976726

tripadvisor.com.au/…25474401

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-s208/Thailand…

http://www.cathyandgarystravelpages.com/

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
576 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days in Phuket ...

Zizi

If you are not already confused here's some more ideas. I agree Patong rather than Phuket Town.

You may have to settle for a day trip to Phi Phi because of the short time.

Day trips can be by ferry or by speedboat.

If by ferry, I suggest Andaman Wavemaster . If your budget will stand it, go for the premium class seats which are in an air-conditioned area on the “top” of the boat – best for views all the way. They will go first to Tonsai Pier at Phi Phi. You can get off there or I recommend you stay on board and go up to Laemtong Beach (no vehicles, turquoise water, white sandy beach) where you would have lunch at one of the resorts. They also allow time for snorkeling and swimming.

You can also go on a day trip to Phi Phi by speedboat (Simba Seatrips or Phuket Sail Tours are the best operators with uncrowded boats) but these may be out of your budget.

For must sees I agree hit the buttons suggested by Travelling Mitch

on this page and the links by NeilsGirl. In a 4 days timetable, I’d suggest you look at John Grays Hongs by Starlight and a half day trip (buy at the street stalls) to Wat Chalong (temple) and Big Buddha as well as the Phi Phi trip.

For all of the places mentioned, look at their websites (Google the names)

Hope you can get something from these ideas.

Tragic

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,355 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 days in Phuket ...

I wuld say day trip to phi phi

but also make sure to just sit back and relax you only there for 4 days you will probably be jetlagged and cranky dont make it worse rushing around everywhere

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 days in Phuket ...

Thanks so much all. I can't wait!

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,866 posts
414 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 days in Phuket ...

For four days, I would do a day trip to Phi Phi or even better (IMO) is a day trip around Phang Nga Bay, much more beautiful scenery etc. I would hire a driver for the day and see Wat Chalong, Viewpoints, more beaches, Big Buddha etc. That will then give a couple of days for just walking around, resting, shopping etc.

I would stay in one of the beach areas, Patong, Kata or Karon.

Cathy

Phuket Thailand
Level Contributor
3,445 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 days in Phuket ...

Hi Zizi. Also think about a boat trip to Phang Nga Bay. The scenery is amazing. James Bond Island is not so special, but the surrounding area is well worth a day's exploration. Plenty of tours in the area to suit all budgets and tastes, from disco party boats to more environmentally aware trips.

Only stay in Phuket Town if you want to be in a very quiet area, and in a traditional part of Phuket. There are several nice restaurants and bars in Old Phuket Town. For a more party feel, maybe Patong would suit you better. It is very 'in your face' however, but you won't be lonely.

btw, welcome to the forum.

Mark.

Phuket Sail Tours.

8. Re: 4 days in Phuket ...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2014, 05:15