We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do NOT rent from Hertz at Phuket International Airport

Singapore
Level Contributor
1 post
23 reviews
Save Topic
Do NOT rent from Hertz at Phuket International Airport

I had the worst ever experience at the Phuket Airport Hertz desk. I made a booking early Jan 2013 and the day before arrival (Feb), I was sent a reminder email by them of the confirmed booking. When I arrived at Phuket to my horror I was told there was no car available and I was to wait an hour for cars to be returned. While I was having breakfast I received a call saying a car was available. Having eaten quickly I went to the desk and was told they gave the car to another customer!! They then returned me the paper work with the word cancelled on it saying they cancelled by booking!! This is not the kind of service you expect from an international organisation!!

I was then told that they had organised a car for me with another car rental company and they would drive me there. I was driven to a back lane and to an unknown car rental company. I was left there to negotiate the rental of the car. Hertz did nothing that they claimed to have done for a replacement car. Basically they left me to sort out the mess they created.

As an international traveller I have never ever been treated so badly by a so called reputable car rental company! The reason why I went with Hertz was because they are supposed to be reliable. Evidently they are not and they have shown to be highly unreliable, rude, offer only poor service.

So my advice to you if you plan to rent a car in Phuket at the airport, go Avis, Budget, National - just NOT Hertz.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
507 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do NOT rent from Hertz at Phuket International Airport

sorry to hear, did you send the complaints to the head office?

I think because of lacking of responsibility from the staffs themselves, i dont think the company know about this.

Maybe because they have a Walk-in guest so they could have some extra money? I dont know it either but the issue has to be sent to the main office in Bangkok and let's see what they will help on this,

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
419 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Do NOT rent from Hertz at Phuket International Airport

Thank you for your shared.

I has used this company many time but in Pattaya not in Phuket. Like above comment said i think it happened from staff.

3. Re: Do NOT rent from Hertz at Phuket International Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2013, 12:06
Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach, Karon
Level Contributor
3,973 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do NOT rent from Hertz at Phuket International Airport

Definitely contact their head office. What a nasty experience!

australia
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do NOT rent from Hertz at Phuket International Airport

You cannot paint the whole company with the same brush because if one experience

This to me seems a staff issue not doing their job properly or not following procedure

I would complain to the hertz head office and I dare say there will be some sort of compensation if the problem was their fault

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,519 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do NOT rent from Hertz at Phuket International Airport

Hertz franchise their overseas operations to local operators relying on the reputation of their brand to get bookings usually at higher prices than local operators. This seems to be a local franchise not living up to the reputation of the brand and as others have said should be reported to their main Head Office.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do NOT rent from Hertz at Phuket International Airport

Hertz take these things very seriously I would be very surprised if they don't offer you a future free rental so definitely contact the head office and let us know the outcome.

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Do NOT rent from Hertz at Phuket International Airport

I will also not be renting anymore from Hertz in Phuket which is a franchise PARAGON CAR RENTALS CO LTD The staff there are out to rip you off when ever they can Fuel, excess charges etc. They are rude, uncaring and completely unprofessional. I have to say this was not always the case as I have rented there for the last few years at least 3-4 hires a year as I use Phuket as a base for the area, yes they have some quite old cars but now under the manager Phatcharin Aeamsawat it seems the service has gone wrong, no one there when you arrive/mistakes/arguing with customers etc this has been over the last year or so.

Two weeks ago a red mark mysteriously appeared on my car that could easily have polished off, they insisted on 2000 baht for this as I do not take the extra excess insurance because it is covered by my Amex charge card. I have put a stop on this payment since as paying it to them was the only way they would release a 30,000 baht deposit.

I have rented Hertz all over the world and this awful set up does their brand an awful lot of damage.

last week I rented from Budget at Phuket Airport and it was quicker far more pleasant and courteous.

9. Re: Do NOT rent from Hertz at Phuket International Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 October 2013, 18:35
UK
Level Contributor
736 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do NOT rent from Hertz at Phuket International Airport

we have always had good experiences with hertz in a number of countries, usa and europe, and we are planning to rent a car at phuket airport next january.

The 2 posters with these horrible experiences have only posted once on trip advisor, so I am trying to keep an open mind.