We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

scube diving

Mumbai (Bombay...
3 posts
Save Topic
scube diving

Hey!

Would appreciate if somebody can share information on Scuba diving in Phuket. At what cost is comes and best destinations for the same. I am planing to be living in patong region.

regards,

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,541 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: scube diving

Do you have a scuba license?

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach, Karon
Level Contributor
3,950 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: scube diving

Yes, are you certified? If so what level diver are you? If not then you would be looking at doing any of the beginner diver programs.

Let us know so that we can be of some help to you.

Mumbai (Bombay...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: scube diving

thanks for the update .Not certified. Would be interested to know more on the beginner diver programs and cost attached to it.

regards,

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,950 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: scube diving

Any of the many dive centers here can offer you 1/2 day and 1 day Discover Scuba Diving programs ranging through to the Open Water Course which is conducted over 3 to 4 days. With the Open Water Course you receive a certification card entitling you to dive to maximum 18 meters.

The DSD programs start from about 2950 baht for 1 dive and around 4500 baht for 2 dives off the daytrip boat to Koh Racha Yai. The Open Water Course costs around 13900 baht.

Do a google and contact some dive centers for more detailed information. Have fun....scuba diving is a wonderful sport. :-)

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,397 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: scube diving

If not certified, the costs for a full certification course will start at around 12,000 Baht. A full day one-day experience will be less than 5,000 Baht, and you can also do an introduction dive in pool or directly from shore. Pool will normally be free, from shore will be about 2,500 Baht.

Mumbai (Bombay...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: scube diving

thanks for the details.

I will probably take it as a one day activity for recreational purposes to a nice spot. Any input what is the best spot to go for ?

regards,

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,397 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: scube diving

Best spot: Racha Islands, either Racha Noi and Racha Yai with 3 dives or Racha Yai only with 2 dives.

Many divecenters will also offer to take you to Phi Phi. Not only is that a violation of standards, since the course can not be conducted there as it should be, it is, at least in my opinion, also an accident waiting to happen.

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,950 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: scube diving

I totally agree with Steven. Koh Racha Yai and Racha Noi are the best daytrip sites for the Discover Scuba Diving program. Departure is around 7:30 - 8:00am and return around 4:00pm.

if you dont have time for a full day out then 1 dive off Kata or Karon beaches are also offered by some dive shops.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,541 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: scube diving

As you do not have diving experience, you need to start your dive adventure somewhere easy. Flat bottom, little or no current, great visibility, and good surface conditions for you to return to the boat.

As RingO and Steven advise (by the way they both operate dive centers), The Racha islands will be the best place for you.

I would not recommend Phi Phi or the other common sites. Those are wall dives that run deep, sometimes medium current and sometimes limited visibility, no good for the beginner who has to grapple with equipment, breathing, air...etc

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: scube diving

I am going to be in Phuket in late July (very last week) and I've been reading that that may not be a good time to go due to weather. Is this true? I am also a beginner who has never dived before.