We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lantern tradition November/December

Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Topic
Lantern tradition November/December

Hi guys,

I was in Phuket in 2010 from November to mid December and was staying in chalong. One weekend they had what I assume was a Buddhist tradition where everybody launched lanterns into the air and also floating lanterns into the ocean from chalong pier just wondering if anybody knows what it was and the date??? I'm returning the same time this year and would like to see it again. Thanks alot

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach, Karon
Level Contributor
4,001 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lantern tradition November/December

Hi

You are talking about the Loy Khratong festival. This year it will be held on the 17th November. It is my favourite festival and floats decorated with flowers, candles and incense are sent out to sea to thank the water spirits. It is traditional to cut a bit of nail and hair and add a couple of baht to the floats.

Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lantern tradition November/December

Awesome thank you for the info. Yea I must say the whole thing I saw the first time I was there was amazing. Do they still do it at chalong pier??

3. Re: Lantern tradition November/December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2014, 04:16