We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wonderous new bus sevice

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Topic
wonderous new bus sevice

starts from phuket airport next week apparently, stops every witch way

170bht to jungceylon but it,ll take ages(IMO) the buses are not very big, not many can get on board!

imagine a plane load of passengers just wanting to go the their hotel quickly-- a bus no way---TAXI!!!

phuketwan.com/tourism/…

Edited: 17 March 2013, 01:08
Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
649 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wonderous new bus sevice

Thanx for pointing to this.

Good luck to the operators, staff, and passengers!

I wonder if recommended attire for initial runs includes flack jackets and helmets? Grenades from the Thai transport mafia from one side, automatic rifle fire from the Russian mafia from the other side? Attempted blockades from the front and rear?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
39,357 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wonderous new bus sevice

That's even if you survive getting out of the Arrivals Hall with the hoards descending on you to by their taxi service to wherever they allow the bus to park to get on it. Departures will be even worse, again until they decide on a dedicated spot to let passengers get off with their luggage without being knocked down by the chaotic arrival of other departing passengers. Great idea - in theory! Pity they have not thought through the practical implications, like how will pax get from the drop off points to their accommodation. Oh, I know, there will be tuk tuks waiting to take them and charging more than it would have cost for a taxi from the airport door to door!

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,366 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wonderous new bus sevice

Why the negativity here, you are even worse than Thai Visa, which says a lot.

Excellent initiative, and the tuktuks will love it, since they will be the ones transporting the passengers to their final destination.

Edited: 17 March 2013, 03:03
4. Re: wonderous new bus sevice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 17 March 2013, 08:30
Edited: 17 March 2013, 08:30
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: wonderous new bus sevice

Hey, it's a start. Great for single travellers or couples, but if I'm paying 150 baht p.p. for four of us to get to Patong (or more likely to Kata for the150 baht maximum fare quoted. Patong should be less), may as well take private transport. Even if it were 50 baht p.p., after 14 hours of travelling, I'd still take private transport.

The cost for getting from the airport to my hotel is not a problem. It worked out at 200 baht p.p. for each of us, which I consider reasonable for a 50 minute ride. It's the less than 5 minute, 200 baht rides, just to go the length of Patong beach that are the problem.

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,366 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: wonderous new bus sevice

"what are the positives for a family of 4 say going from the airport to their accommodation in one of the more inaccessible parts of Patong and what about return trips, how many visitors will book a taxi or a Tuk Tuk to take them to the nearest bus stop"

Why come up with all kind of conditions just to slag of a new development?

Make it a single person/couple and it can be very attractive.

Don't need to book taxi/tuktuk, as you know you can just stop them whenever you see one. And name me one in place in Patong, since you're talking about Patong, where you don't see any taxi's/tuktuks.

Whether it is going to work or not I don't know, I hope it is going to work, but negative talk before you even have any idea about the workings just doesn't make any sense to me.

7. Re: wonderous new bus sevice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 17 March 2013, 08:29
Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,366 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: wonderous new bus sevice

Nothing to do with my views, only with somebody slagging off a new initiative that can hopefully contribute to the improving the transport situation on the island, what we all want, with unjust arguments.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
747 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: wonderous new bus sevice

A great initiative and i hope it all goes well. The price for me needs to be better but on the plus side if i can get off where i choose most hotels are only a short walk from rat u thit rd

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
9,858 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: wonderous new bus sevice

A shared mini-bus from the airport to Patong is only 180bt, & obviously will be much quicker than the bus & drops you off at your hotel